Gas Boiler Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Im buying a house and will be having a new kitchen installed at some point.

The boiler is currently under the work surface, you can see the hole between the oven and sink:

This is how the whole estate was originally done (1985), is it OK their both legally and safety wise? Any minimum size for the access whole?

Due to lack of space I would ideally just leave it there like this:

Thanks

Ash

Sponsored Links
Boiler has to be fitted to manufacturers spec, main things to check are Clearance for access/ servicing/ repairs and also ventilation and Flue termination

You may have a job getting someone to service/ repair in in the future or maybe even fit it there???

Thanks,

Was thinking of making sure that corner section of the worktop is separate from the rest so can be removed without taking off the whole length for any repairs / replacements?

Sponsored Links
The access gap is about:

80mm
--------------
|
|
380mm |
|
|
|

Any thoughts of if this is enough? Hard to tell without actually crawling through the space

I suggest you re-plan your kitchen.
When the boiler needs replacing in the future a new boiler will
need to go where the top left wall cupboard currently is.
I suggest you replace the boiler first before doing the kitchen.

apart from the obvious access issues the flue if boxed in will have to have access/ inspection hatches fitted . I would find somewhere else for the boiler to live

flue goes straight out the wall behind the boiler,

If I can find elsewhere for it to live how much should I budget for moving it, it can only really go on that wall (with the window) for the flue to exit

Actually its going to be a pain to put it anyware,

Right side of the window has waste pipes from upstairs and I presume heating pipes etc boxed in,

Left side of the window has the porch out side:

getting the feeling this is going to be expensive and fiddly to move

as dcawkwell suggested I guess its going to have to go where the top left cupboard is so two questions:

1) I know its hard to estimate stuff like this but anyone got a rough idea how much it would cost for a new boiler & moving pip work?

2) How much space should I leave in my plans, do boilers come in a standard width?

thanks,

ash

Can it go in the cupboard beside the front door?

Many boilers are within 750 x 450 wide x 350 deep, plus the flue, and clearances especially underneath.
New boiler - impossible to tell from here! £1400 to £2800 probably!

Thanks Chris, I dint think of that, yes it could go in the cupboard beside the door, lots of work for the plumber getting it there though,

I think im going to have to get someone in to price up different options.

thank

The access gap is about:

80mm
--------------
|
|
380mm |
|
|
|

Any thoughts of if this is enough? Hard to tell without actually crawling through the space

I have just measured myself and I am 420mm wide and 290 deep. Thats as well as about 1730mm tall!

I dont think I will fit into your space!

Photo is a bit low res, but it looks like I can see the boiler internals, which would be classed as unsafe technically.
Don't worry about the new boiler too much, many house sales fall through anyway.

I suggest an air source heat pump so you can put this outside.

I expect you have a hot water tank in the house by the type
of boiler you currently have and the air source heat pump will
work with this fine.

Otherwise there must be a reasonable amount of space as the flue
for the existing boiler comes out through the wall. So a combi boiler
is also possible. Perhaps even put the combi upstairs in the bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back