Gas boiler service/check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son lives in a 14 year-old house. It is timber framed & built on an estate by a national builder. He has just had his annual gas boiler check/service by a registered gassafe engineer. There has never been a problem before. However on yesterday’s check the engineer has failed the system on 3 points:

1. the gas supply pipe is unsheathed on entry to the house
2. there is no cross bonding on the gas supply pipe
3. the flue is too near to the adjacent brickwork of garage (this wall juts out at right angles to the kitchen wall and is about 15cm from the flue)

I do understand that flues need to be positioned just so, but I don’t understand why the situation has suddenly changed after 13 years, in the case of all 3 items.

I’ve checked the gassafe website but can’t find anything there that helps.

I’d be really grateful for any advice please. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There are houses next to me that are 7 or 8 years old and the list of regulatory defects is incredible on some of them.

All it means is that you've had an engineer round that knows his onions.

As Dan said the previous engineers either didn't know their stuff or just ignored the faults and didn't advise. The faults are probably just advisory (NCS) ie. it does not fail as such but you are advised to have the faults rectified, having said that the majority of properties have multiple NCS faults and the owners do nothing...often because it's either impractical or expensive.

Have a look through the pdf, it's the bible that sensible engineers follow for guidance on sub-standard or dangerous gas work.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...chXuS-dNn3Vle8w&bvm=bv.66699033,d.ZGU&cad=rja

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back