Gas boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like the powers that be may well be back tracking on the banning of gas boilers by 2035 ??

Sponsored Links
Well it's a bit on obvious.

There just isn't a viable alternative at present, gas burns a lot cleaner than most fossil fuels,

We need to invest in hydrogen production as a country and then inject it into the existing gas network.

Well it's a bit on obvious.

There just isn't a viable alternative at present, gas burns a lot cleaner than most fossil fuels,

We need to invest in hydrogen production as a country and then inject it into the existing gas network.
I think this will happen. Hydrogen production is already being worked on, currently for inductrial applications, but will likely be injected into the existing network at some point.

Unfortunately many tree hugger friendly measures are impractical. Going all electric for transport and heating homes is pie in the sky, which relies on greatly uprated electricity generation and distribution that is many years off.

Those politicians and their promises; thankfully these 'green' policies won't ever happen.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately many tree hugger friendly measures are impractical. Going all electric for transport and heating homes is pie in the sky, which relies on greatly uprated electricity generation and distribution that is many years off.

Those politicians and their promises; thankfully these 'green' policies won't ever happen.

I agree,

Essex has declared a climate emergency, however have still passed planning and licensing to an incinerator that isn't wanted or even needed and goes against the net zero targets.

It's all a bit ruddy stupid.

Politicians paying lip service to it all imo.

Even if the electrical supply could handle all the demand, who in their right mind would ditch their gas boiler in favour of an electric boiler? Millionaires, perhaps, but no ordinary people.

Even if the electrical supply could handle all the demand, who in their right mind would ditch their gas boiler in favour of an electric boiler? Millionaires, perhaps, but no ordinary people.
In simple terms all that need to happen is for gas to be taxed more heavily so it costs the same or more as electrical heating.

Then, to deal with some of the cries of 'how dare you', you can ring fence all that income and put it into free heat pumps for low-income housing.

Borisconi hailed thatcher as the pioneer of green energy...

He kind of forgot that after ideologically destroying so many communities she led the 'dash for gas'...

Could someone remind borisconi that burning gas is just as bad as coal :rolleyes:

Of course one of his new 'advisors' will have probably told him that not every block of flats are suitable for ground heat pumps...

But then borisconi doesn't understand the real life issues of the serfs!

Could someone remind borisconi that burning gas is just as bad as coal :rolleyes:
It isn't as bad, Gas boilers are probably as good as fossil fuel can get in terms of CO2 use.

It'd be tempting to say that we should leave them till last and focus on gas power plants, but we can't just swap them out over a single year, we have to start soon.

In simple terms all that need to happen is for gas to be taxed more heavily so it costs the same or more as electrical heating.

Then, to deal with some of the cries of 'how dare you', you can ring fence all that income and put it into free heat pumps for low-income housing.

thats absurd,

so many people (myself included) would end up in fuel poverty.

if my house was fully electric i just couldnt afford to live in it, i'd also have to do substantial rewiring. An air source heat pump in my house id have to have the 15kw version, but then i have the problem of locating it somewhere. I cannot go ground source heat pump either so i'm kind of stuck as to where id go.

economically it is just unfeasible whichever way i look like it,

i'd never be classed as a low income household either

thats absurd,

if my house was fully electric i just couldnt afford to live in it, i'd also have to do substantial rewiring. An air source heat pump in my house id have to have the 15kw version, but then i have the problem of locating it somewhere. I cannot go ground source heat pump either so i'm kind of stuck as to where id go.

And yet unless green hydrogen becomes economical (right now it's around 2.5 times the price of normal hydrogen from fossil fuels), it's what will happen.

Hydrogen (the cheap stuff) is very expensive at the moment, it should drop dramatically with scale of production and with more cheap electricity but if you think an air source heat pump is uneconomical then hydrogen is worse.

Already being done. Worcester, Baxi, Vaillant and Ideal are working on hydrogen ready boilers, I'm sure I read that Worcester have a current boiler which can be converted to hydrogen. Expect more explosions though.

thats absurd,

I agree. At my age - 69 - I hope that none of their 'green' ideas come to fruition until I'm in my box.
After that, and having no children, I couldn't care less! :LOL:

And yet unless green hydrogen becomes economical (right now it's around 2.5 times the price of normal hydrogen from fossil fuels), it's what will happen.

Hydrogen (the cheap stuff) is very expensive at the moment, it should drop dramatically with scale of production and with more cheap electricity but if you think an air source heat pump is uneconomical then hydrogen is worse.

The air source heat pump in itself is not hugely uneconomical, however the cost of installing it is. I also have the issue of I have no where to put it, so it's an unviable option.

This then means I will probably end up with an electric water store and electric storage heaters which will be horrendously expensive.

With hydrogen, as it scales up will become drastically cheaper, and as we likely won't be running solely on hydrogen the large cost is offset,

I accept that inevitably the costs of running my house will go up with going "green" but it cannot go up at the current costs.

Electricity is not going to get cheaper, supply and demand etc

I recall in the 80s

when a lot of us got involved in high tech solar heating for hot water

which basically consisted of a radiator painted black slung up on yer roof :)

Transam was at the forefront of solar technology in the 8os :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Back