gas certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Lads,

I have been asked to disconnect an hobb for a worktop change. I advised about existing appliances ie boiler and fire with hobb giving 2mbar drop.
I am gas safe but understandably want to do things to regs although this person reasures me that he feels i am over doing the checks. he had a previous gas man who would come in and issue a certificate on the hobb reconnection change alone regardless of other appliances etc.just changing hobb and issuing certificate. when doing this type of job do i need to look at all appliances and record kw output operating pressure etc on all appliances not just tightness testing (old corgi gas safety certificate).

cheers.

Sponsored Links
when doing this type of job do i need to look at all appliances and record kw output operating pressure etc on all appliances not just tightness testing (old corgi gas safety certificate).

cheers.
No, turning an appliance back on (i.e. relighting a boiler) does not constitute "working on" an appliance under the gas regs, I generally scan round for ventilation, flame picture and any obvious defects when turning back on, but thats where your liability ends if things seem ok.

Wrong answer wsts.

Anyone working on Gas must first make sure it is safe to do so

Sponsored Links
Do you want to read the book again DIA in relation to what WSTS has actually written.

Wrong answer wsts.

What I have written is clearly stated in the gas regs........ almost word for word.

...I am gas safe but understandably want to do things to regs although this person reasures me that he feels i am over doing the checks. ...
Of course cheapskate landlord feels you are overdoing it, they always do. That is exactly the reason the law requires US to verify that it is done technically correct, rather than as cheap as possible.

Just ask yourself one question: If "the other" installer was so much better and more agreeable, why did mr .Cheapskate not get him back?

As mentioned above, the technical aspects of this should be discussed in the CC; you will find it well handy to join that.

Wrong answer wsts.

What I have written is clearly stated in the gas regs........ almost word for word.

I know what the book says thank you.

Your answer implies that the OP was over the top, by the irrelevant suggestion that lighting an appliance doesn't constitute work.

The OP has been asked to disconnect a hob and make safe, that means a TT before and after the work is completed, and again when the hob is reconnected, which may or may not be in the same place.

If there is an unacceptable drop, the test has failed, and becomes the OP's responsibility to contact a responsible person.

At no time can he just walk off and leave it leaking.

In what way was it irrelevant when he was on about the tests he thought may need doing when doing a simple disconnect reconnect, as he hasnt "worked on" the appliances he doest not need to do a thorough test and record working pressures/kw etc on every appliance.

2mb is also not unacceptable on existing pipework, plus I'm not sure why you even came out with your comment about checking if its safe to work on as the op had obviously done this to record a 2mb drop !!!

It's probably a misunderstanding but; it should be discussed in the CC anyway.

Re-lighting the appliances that are still in use is part of the main work.

The Op asked, should he do a TT before he starts ?, Yes, he should.

Should he do a TT when he's finished ? Yes, he should.

Should he check the other appliances in order to check the pipe size is suitable for whatever work is going on ? Yes, he should.

The 2mb is an operating pressure drop, a larger appliance would throw it way out.

The Op asked, should he do a TT before he starts ?

Where ?

Am not sure now though whether the op means theres a working pressure drop of 2mb or a 2mb drop on the tightness test ? It can be read either way.

Please gentlemen, continue this discussion in the Combustion Chamber, unless you want to present cowboys with a manual on how to circumvent the regs.

Yep combustion chamber that way the public dont get to see that the pros cant even get the basics right . :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back