Gas cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has now got dementia and have been told by the NHS that I must disconnect the gas cooker as she turned the gas on and forgot. Am'I allowed to disconnect it or would I need a plumber in? Thanks

Sponsored Links
There should be an isolation tap to turn off the supply to the cooker. Gas safe registration is not required to turn off that tap.

if its on a hose you can disconnect it, but it would be better to get the connection either tested to ensure it does not leak or better still blanked off so she can not reconnect the hose when your not there.

There should be an isolation tap to turn off the supply to the cooker. Gas safe registration is not required to turn off that tap.

Seriously?? Get of Google FFS you'll end up hurting someone with you pi55 poor advice.

@masona

Are you talking about a free standing cooker, a hob or an inbuilt gas cooker?

Hopefully not a hob or inbuilt but if it is on a flexible connection you can remove it yourself. There should be a self sealing coupling but it may not seal.

If it really is down to your mother then it may be worth having it properly disconnected from the mains supply as, even with dementia, it could still be reconnected.

Feel for you though mate, it's never nice to go through but make sure it is done properly. If you are round by me I'll come do it for free.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Seriously?? Get of Google FFS you'll end up hurting someone with you pi55 poor advice.

The source wasn't Google.

And perhaps you can explain why you think that stating something that is a fact in at least three houses within a mile of here is PI55 poor advice.

Are you saying that having an isolation tap ( or stop cock ) on the gas supply to an oven is wrong while it is necessary on the supply to gas hobs. ?

They're called service valves for a reason.

Sorry but there wasn't a label saying "This is a service valve" so it was assumed to be a gas tap or stop cock

Can a "service" valve be legally used in emergency as a stop cock when it is necessary to stop the gas flowing ( oven gas tap would not turn off )

better out than in with dementia.
but there is a system that can be fitted that has a gas detector on the ceiling that shuts off the gas supply to the cooker if the gas is left on and not lit that way carers family can still cook meals

Unless she's going to starve , presumably you'll take the gas cooker out and replace it with electric ? Then you can have the pipe capped. I'm not convinced that electric is that much safer than gas as I can see my 92yo mum setting the house on fire with either as she leaves things on top of the hob.

No Bernard, You are stating that there should be one on there and that is wrong. There is no requirement for there to be one and in the majority of cases there won't be one. What 3 houses have within a mile of you means absolutely F all.

A cooker point is deemed as a means of isolation that can be used by a consumer. I don't really agree with that as it can still leak and could still be a potential hazard but that is what the regs state.

Are you saying that having an isolation tap ( or stop cock ) on the gas supply to an oven is wrong while it is necessary on the supply to gas hobs. ?

No it is not wrong but it is also not needed as the self sealing connection point is deemed as a point of isolation to allow service and removal of the appliance. A gas hob should, in the majority of cases, be fixed to rigid pipework and would need a means of isolation for disconnection. Two completely different ball games.

Can a "service" valve be legally used in emergency as a stop cock when it is necessary to stop the gas flowing ( oven gas tap would not turn off )

No, there are none that can do. If there is an uncontrolled gas escape then the only proper advice that should be given is to isolate at the MCV (Meter control valve, just to save you googling time) Call the emergency help line (0800 111 999) and report it.

If the oven gas tap would not turn off allowing gas to escape then the appliance should not be being used anyway as there is obviously a fault on the FFD and is therefore ID.

Like i said before Bernard please stop your pi55 poor google advice on gas. Stick to electrics and controls.

Jon

Edit due to the courtesy of spelling Bernards name wrong

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back