Slight gas leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my mothers gas hob there is a very faint smell of gas from one of the rings when turned off. I have told her to call an engineer tomorrow and have it disconnected and made safe. She has a small electric hob because she is not allowed to use the gas one anyway. Any rough idea on price to disconnect and cap if required. The built in oven will need to be withdraw to access supply.

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,
I presumed that because you have to put your nose right to it to get the slightest smell of gas it would be ok till tomorrow, would you agree ?

Sponsored Links
No, I would not.
Smell of gas = Immediately Dangerous = make safe = cap gas off.
No 2 ways about it.

Just call natioal grid out or whoever emergency service provider is in your area.
Say you have a smell of gas ,which you have.
They will test it find it and cut hob off for FREE

Remote possibility but if they stick to there standards or even if the guy pulls out built in oven (electric ?), The hob is only thing that will be left off.

They won't pull the cooker out anymore sadly. Will just cap the meter. You could try taking the cooker out yourself and asking him but don't hold your breath. They really do just TOFO now.

The 4 NG guys i sit with in cafe will still take ovens out an cap hobs and so do the other 10 who work the area . Same as they will cap off any individual appliance if access allows,
In the end its down to how helpfull they want to be i

In the end its down to how helpfull they want to be
Suppose that depends on how big the backhander is likely to be.

Just call natioal grid out or whoever emergency service provider is in your area.
You seem to be on a mission to cut the legs out from under other gas fitters namsag, have we upset you? :LOL:

Correct.
Usually at the meter though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back