Gas cookers in flats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
expertgasman from another earlier/other thread,

You said ....With regard to the FFD, that is always on an oven, and has been for decades. In a flat you now have to have a flame supervision device on ALL burners.

Interesting point. I assume this does not apply to existing cookers installed in flats already.

How do they operate - does spark generator keep on sparking if flame goes out or does that stop. I bet this will add a fair bit of money to production of a gas cooker :cry:

Having just googled some sample cookers, gas ones are one and a half times more expensive. Time to go electric me thinks.[/quote]

Sponsored Links
expertgasman from another earlier/other thread,

You said ....With regard to the FFD, that is always on an oven, and has been for decades. In a flat you now have to have a flame supervision device on ALL burners.

Interesting point. I assume this does not apply to existing cookers installed in flats already.

How do they operate - does spark generator keep on sparking if flame goes out or does that stop. I bet this will add a fair bit of money to production of a gas cooker :cry:

Having just googled some sample cookers, gas ones are one and a half times more expensive. Time to go electric me thinks.

Firstly, it does not apply to cookers fitted before a certain date.
Secondly, they generally work in the same way a thermocouple lead works on a boiler.

Fair old bit of work changing them aswell - especially if the burner uses a t/lead and not a mercury type valve.

Mr. W.

they are thermocouples,two metals which when heated produce a small electrical charge so keeping the valve open

And flame supervision through the electrodes, not new either been on some cookers over 30 years

Sponsored Links
if your in a house its fine to buy a hob without FSD protection.
The reg came in a couple of years ago and only applies in flats.
If you buy a hob without FSD now it cant be fitted in a flat.
If you already own one,move into a flat with one or take your old 1 from your last property to a new flat its also ok not to have an FSD device fitted.
Electric is more expensive to use than gas and i dont think it makes hobs much more expensive either as they pretty much all have them now due to the new regs and would miss a gap in the market by not having an FSD to protect the burners.

Ray

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back