Gas course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, would really appreciate people’s thoughts on my experience while attending a local gas course.ten weeks in and I was carrying Out checks on a boiler with a flue analyser, it showed the carbon monoxide reading was at 2000 ppm, the boiler had a balanced flue fitted, so I was taking the reading right next to where the fumes were exiting. Concerned I told the tutor of the high levels, he said they were wrong and I must have set up the flue analyser incorrectly. I insisted we check the boiler together, we did witch showed again that the carbon monoxide level was at 2000 ppm and the flue analyser sounded an alarm, the tutor said he didn’t know what had gone wrong. My a question is how dangerous was this situation?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
How dangerous was it? Impossible to say, we can't see the setup and we'd don't know the make/model of thr boiler. If it was in controlled conditions inside a training centre then I'd say very low risk. I've seen much higher PPM than that on training centre boilers, and I'm still here. Bit concerning that your tutor didn't understand it though, but then many tutors seem to be failed gas engineers. As the old saying goes, "those who can do the job, do the job. Those who can't, teach".

the tutor said he didn’t know what had gone wrong. My a question is how dangerous was this situation?

To be taught by a tutor like that is dangerous for your future and maybe the futures of you customers.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
First lesson here is not to shove the FGA probe in a boiler and let it take 2000ppm...you'll kill the cells in many domestic FGAs with that concentration...or at least it will sit there forever purging the overdose.
It's rare to see more than a few hundred ppm...and you should always be ready to whip out the probe connection to the FGA if it's climbing too fast. Always best to sense diluted combustion products initially on unknown appliances before shoving the probe fully in.
A bit worrying but not surprising that the assessor doesn't know much.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back