Gas Earth Bonding (again)

Coljack, the EAWR require that you possess such technical knowledge as is required, depending on the work. Should proceedings ensue as a result of your actions it would be up to you, as the defendant to demonstrate this knowledge and that all due diligence was exercised. Not being up to date with current regulations would make the prosecution's case for them.

Sponsored Links
not being aware of administrative proceedings does not detract from the technical knowledge of how to safely carry out an inspection and test..

If the professor of electricla engineering at some big university wanted to rewire a house, would dingbat say he wasn't competent as he didn't have a bit of paper to say he was?

ColJack said:
not being aware of administrative proceedings does not detract from the technical knowledge of how to safely carry out an inspection and test..
Administrative? Where did that come from? Did you read a different post?

FatGit said:
If the professor of electricla engineering at some big university wanted to rewire a house, would dingbat say he wasn't competent as he didn't have a bit of paper to say he was?
Yes, if he didn't have the requisite knowledge and experience to carry out the work safely and to the current regulations.

Hey, don't believe me, it really won't ruin my week.

Sponsored Links
FatGit said:
It wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't, many profs are rather lacking in terms of the ability to actually do stuff safely despite thier huge knowlage of the thory.

I good friend of mine was in the REME for years (I assume you meant REME, not RMEE). I wouldn't let him any where near my wiring though :D

(If you need any aircraft hydraulics repairing though he's your man) :LOL:

Despite Dingbat being a bit strong (and apologising elsewhere, which I applaud) I feel he has a point.

I once heard a bloke on a trade counter ask for advice on a topic he clearly didnt have a clue on, the wholesaler staff refused to comment, but an electrician also collecting materials stood there and gave him a ten minute run down on exactly how to do the job and I thought, you pillock, thats a £200 job you have given away to a dangerous person, who still remained clueless after the explanation!

The fact of the matter is, despite what some people think they know or are capable of, and irrespective of any experience in a related (but not the same industry), its dangerous to mess with stuff that you "used to know about" 50 years ago! How many times do you hear old fellas looking under bonnets saying "I used to be able to tinker with these, its all a mass of plastic and electronics now, special tools and diagnostic computers"

Industrial Electrician - I'll get in touch when I want a star delta or DOL starter putting in
REME sparks - just the man for my temorary power at a garden fete, generators and all, or maybe when my plane has an electrical fault

but if its all the same, I'll get a Domestic ELECTRICIAN into wire my house, not an industrial one, nor an army, navy or air force one!

If Dingbat is one of those, fair play for giving the safest and most sensible advice and also for protecting his livelihood!

"This is not a personal slight (most 'electricians' are not competent to do this job) it is simply an informed opinion... and I am informed."

Even made it non-personal!

Fact is this is a website about DIY, and we should all be aware of what is DIYable and what is not. DIY surgery anyone? Less appealing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back