Gas Earth Bonding (again)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

My daughter has just bought a house and the electrics are, to say the least, in a mess.
Firstly I want to change the consumer unit for a split load job and then sort out the problems from there.
As far as I can see there is no earth rod to be seen, so will need to get that sorted.
Main query is earthing of gas pipework. Do I just need to run a 10mm cable from the consumer unit to the gas pipework (within 600mm of the meter) or are there other points ?
Do I need to bond the gas/water pipes at the gas boiler.
Any advice will be appreciated.
I am an electrician but spent the last 25 years on factory mainenance so out of touch with current regs.

Sponsored Links
Bonding the pipework at the boiler may be a suitable place to provide equipotential bonding. It depends on the layout of the house.

As far as I can see at the moment it is an old TT supply.
At least it is the old Twin Tails coming in from outside but they have used coax between the main fuse and the meter.
The boiler is in an "utility room" at ground level. with facilities for washer and tumble drier.

Sponsored Links
COAX???? eeep....

I hope you don't mean actual COAX.. as in television aerial cable...?

what's your definition of "COAX"?

I can't find a CCC for co-ax in the regs....Can anyone help me? ;)

Bryn, if you need to ask these questions you are not competent to do the job.

This is not a personal slight (most 'electricians' are not competent to do this job) it is simply an informed opinion... and I am informed.

Sorry if I offended you guys by calling "concentric" cable "coax".
As far as I am aware concentric is 2 dimensional and coax is 3.
Anyway, I agrre that I am not "competent" as far as the regs are concerned, I have not done any house bashing for many many years, but have been deeply involved in electrical maintenance at industry level.

I simply want to turn my daughter's wiring mess into a safe mess untill such time as she can afford a full rewire simply by changing the CU to one with RC protection. It may create havoc by highlighting faults, but that's good.
That is the reason I came onto this forum to ask for advice.

I notice that dingbat loves to use his "incompetent" word on many of the forum replies. Seems to be the type of guy that would bluff the public with his knowledge of current regs and charge accordingly.
The type of guy that spoils a friendly forum in my opinion. :(

THanks for your help guys, all now sorted.

Not done any tests except for earth continuity between CU and Kitchen.
Not much point as the lighting cables are all two core (no earth), the old 3/.036 cables.
Kitchen was bult 2 years ago, all granite worktops and stailess steel wall panelling. Looks lovely but a deathtrap.
Kitchen under-unit lights all done with chocolate block connectors.
The cooker, 14 sockets and 21 halogen lights are ALL fed from one 30 A fuse. As I stated earlier - a total mess, and desperately needs a full rewire.
At least the kitchen and sockets have some kind of protection now with the RCD.
I am now too bloody old to start lifting floorboards and chasing walls, so it will need to be done by a "competent" person.
The kitchen will be a real nightmare to do.
So much for council building inspectorate !!
And so much for a "full" propety inspection @ £470 !!

Thanks for the help guys. Some of you were great.

Yours in incompetence
Bryn
Going back to my 3000HP mill motor control, it's easier :)

BrynRovers said:
I notice that dingbat loves to use his "incompetent" word on many of the forum replies. Seems to be the type of guy that would bluff the public with his knowledge of current regs and charge accordingly.

I don't use technical language with clients that don't understand it and I get all of my work by referral. I must be doing something right.

Being "out of touch with current regs" IS incompetent in the eyes of the law, but that's okay... you're in the majority. ;)

The type of guy that spoils a friendly forum in my opinion.

You are absolutely entitled to - and free to air - your opinion.

please explain how being out of touch with a non stautory set of rules that you don't have to follow is illegal?

( and before you say you didn't say it was illegal, you said "incompetent in the eyes of the law" which according to the EAWR make it illegal for anyone meeting your criteria above to work on electrics.. )

Methinks it is time to close on this post.

There are nice guys and there are the dingbats of this world - that is what makes the human race different.

Think I will rewire the house after all just for the hell of it. Even be "posh" and put intermediate switching on the landing light.

Thanks all, it's bin fun if nothing else.

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back