Gas feed to boiler in roof space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

This is my first post and I've had a look for a similar question on the forums, but didn't see anything.

I am getting gas installed in my house and I will be getting the gas combi boiler installed in the roofspace of my semi-detached house. There is suitable space in a couple of cavity walls inside the house to bring the gas supply up into the roofspace and into the boiler, so the piping does not need to be surface mounted on the outside of the house. What is the best practice in regards the routing of the gas feed pipe? Can it go inside the house (in cavity walls) or should it be outside?

My thinking... inside would be the tidy route with all the pipes hidden, but not as safe in regards leaks and harder to get at for maintenance (is there much maintenance needed really?). Outside would be easier got at for maintenance (also for anyone wanting to cause trouble) and, I guess, safer if there was ever a leak.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Apart from it being a gas main - a topic on which I cannot comment - I'm interested into how you actually propose to get the gas pipe into the cavity

You CANNOT run a gas pipe in a cavity. It can go THROUGH he cavity, but it must take the shortest route.

And as Jack queried, how would youg et it in there? :D

Perhaps my terminology is off here. When I say cavity, I mean a wall which is plaster boarded so it is hollow, as opposed to a brick wall.

Sponsored Links
It can go behind a plasterboard lining but only when special precautions have been taken.

Your Gas Registered installer can advise you.

But it would be far cheaper to fit it outside!

Tony

Cheers Tony.

The house is getting loads of other work done and is like a building site, so provisions have been made for the central heating to get upstairs via an open stud wall. I was wondering about getting the gas running up there also, while it's open.

The plumber who is doing the install (recommended by Pheonix Gas) seemed to be ok about putting the gas feed up through the stud walls, but my builder who has been doing most of the other work said it would be better on the outside, so I was just wanting to hear some other opinions.

I dont see how it could go up a stud wall withing the regulations!

tracpipe or copper you can't run it inside a stud wall without the special precautions Tony is talking about, if your "plumber" thinks you can then it's time to show him the door because he doesn't know what he is doing

you can buy the gas regs book online without the need to be gas safe registered,which is pretty stupid :eek:
You can also buy a car without having a licence.

There are plenty of other thread on here which cover the topic. Personally, as an electrical engineer I would expect gas pipe to be treated in the same way as electric cables in studwork and, seeing as you can't have RCD protection on a gas pipe, ensure that your man is using steel BSP instead.

On the occasions that I have had to run a gas supply up the outside of a house I try to run it in an internal corner or behind a rainwater down pipe as this reduces the visual impact & offers some protection.

Alan

All that aside its really ****e putting a boiler/combi in the loft due to access awkwarness and as a user when it "locks out " at some point because they all do you will have to access it to reset it and when it doesnt reset etal you will be cursing it saying things like " why the **** did i have that bastard boiler installed up there"
Or maybe i am being a tad cynical :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back