Gas Fire and Room ventilation fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not strictly central heating, but as it involves gas regs, I figure this is as good a place as any to post. (Mods, feel free to move if i've missed a better thread).

Lounge has a flueless gas fire fitted.

There is a ventilation fan low down on the wall which we are told is to ensure ventilation for the fire.

Thing is this thing runs 24/7, and sets up such a draught around the ankles that I actually end up putting the fire on because of the draft!

Should this thing be on a switch, and only run when the fire is on, or should there be a timer, or perhaps a sensor so it only runs if the fire has caused a certain level of CO to build up.

The Fire is claimed to have a sensor that will shut it down if the CO levels rise, so is the fan needed at all.

At the moment the damn thing is a pain and i'm tempted to just disconnect it, but i'm sure that would not be a good thing in the long run.

Any help or ideas welcomed,

MW

Sponsored Links
you should have permanent ventilation to the room size and location depends on the manufacturers instructions,from your description it is mechanical not natural,only advice i can give is get a competent rgi to check it complies with mi's.DO NOT USE THE FIRE UNTIL IT IS ESTABLISHED THAT YOUR VENTILATION COMPLIES,
i never have and never will fit one of these appliances as i view them as death sentences waiting to be carried out sorry

Sponsored Links
I am led to believe so.

I think I have a certificate somewhere in the docs for the house.

Couldn't find them last night when i finally got fed up with cold toes, and didn't have time to check before coming in to work this morning.

MW

The manufacturers instructions should be followed when installing.

We need to establish if they call for this set-up.

Andy.

By definition, im pretty sure that flueless gas fires do not require ventilation.

Even so, the ventilation would be static and not involve a fan, to remove the risk of fan failure obstructing the air flow.

The fan will have a CO sensor - but this is a safety device and not to be relied on.

Get it checked out by a different engineer to the one who fit it, and if anything is wrong with ask the original installer to put it right!

I'm pretty sure that it does need ventilation. The gas fitter who (thankfully) refused to entertain the idea of fitting one of these fires in my living room said it would be needed. Depends on the volume of the room I suspect.

The fire may have a CO sensor in it but I've never heard of a fan with a CO sensor. If such a thing exists its probably quite expensive due to its rarity.

As I understand it they don't produce much heat anyway? (Especially with a dirty great big hole in the wall) More of a decorative thing? I'd consider getting rid and replacing with an electric equivelent that will produce some real heat without a draft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back