Gas fire - closure plate advice needed please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having a gas fire fitted soon and my corgi man has asked that I fit a closure plate across the top of the opening and bring the copex flue liner through it before he fits the fire. I know how to make one, but I have read conflicting things about what material is acceptable to use for this purpose.

Part J of the building regs doesn't specify that a closure plate needs to be made of any particular type of material, other places selling mild steel sheets state that a 2mm thickness is necessary to comply with building regs and I've also found aluminium closure plate sheets for sale at plumbers merchant websites.

Any advice on which is the best material to use and which is acceptable to use would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't mention fitting a closure plate at all, nor do the building regs for this type of fire (Flued DFE).

Sponsored Links
i use the 2 part clamp plate (which is usually used at the top of the chimney to support the copex) it is east to trim and fit the opening, and when fitted seal round the edge with heat resistant silicone

A decorative fuel effect gas appliance (DFE) requires a minimum 7" flue.

You may talking about an inset live fuel effect gas fire (ILFE) which would appear to be ok with a 5"flue.

Does your installer know what type of fire you are proposing to supply for installation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back