Question on Registration/closure plates for woodburner stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I Had my Woodburner installed back in February by a HETAS dealer. I decided to go down this route since after looking at installing it myself with building regs since our council now charge £210 + vat it would only save me about £300 if I did it myself. Not worth the risk since HETAS sign the job off on that day and I wouldn't have to deal with those building regs council numptys who haven't got a clue anyway. The plan was to get a 904 flexible flue in my existing chimney which I already opened out and prepared.

I was surprised the way he did the registration plate He attracted two pieces of angle iron left and right of inside of the chimney where the registration plate should be then rested (not attached) the other 2 pieces across the left and right angle iron to make the front and back . He then Put the register plate in 3 pieces, the middle with the pipe adapter to Flexible flue (904 grade), with a further two panels each side, again just placed on the angle iron and unsealed. In effect each side panel is not attached and can be push up (which may be useful to clean). See attached picture which show one of the side panels lifted) Having read part J building regs I questioned him whether the plate needed to be sealed. He said it didn't need sealing since it was sealed at the stove and at the pipe adapter and therefore along the length of the flue. The plate only needed to be a closure plate and not a registration plate and was merely for aesthetic purposes.

Is this right? I can't see anything in the part J that says this so I am only going on his word. So If anyone knows this to be true or can point me to a place where I can get a definite answer then please help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back