Gas fire conventional flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. My neighbour has had a new gas fire installed and asked if there flue can come out over my drive as the way the houses were built my drive over hangs their front room and their front room over hangs drive by about 500mm. I did say yes but was concerned about the flue fumes entering my bedroom or the roof space with the soffit being vented. My question is, is the flue OK where it is discharging out like a boiler flue does or does it need to discharge above the roof?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Never say yes until you know exactly what it will entail and what you are actually agreeing to, especially when it comes to flue gases. I'd go back to your neighbour and recant that approval until you know more.

Here is a pic I've marked on where there flie comes out. My understanding is that the gas fire flue should discharge above the roof. Whay do you guys think and are they within the regulations?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220409-151638_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220409-151638_Maps.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
That doesn’t seem like it’ll be a gas fire, more like a log burner? You can get flued gas fires that exit out the wall, but wouldn’t have thought that would be acceptable. Personally I don’t think it’s the way the house has been built, unless the builders fitted that wall around their garden?

Presume it’s a balanced flue fire and the clearances are acceptable but should not flue onto someone’s property without permission.problem could occur if you sell the new owners could ask for it to be removed.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I don't think they have told the full story properly. I spoke to the fitter who did the job and he told me that its fitted to the instructions and said its over 600mm away from your bedroom window, I thought the fire flues had to terminate above the roof?

if its flue terminates in your boundary then its not allowed regardless of whether you give permission or not.
No fan flued fires do not have to terminate above the roof

i cant see how its over your boundary, the fire and flue has to be on their side (obviously) so it looks like the wall is set back from the boundary line.

its fitted to the instructions
So the fire is already in but the flue hasn't been installed yet?

As suggested their internal wall and therefore natural boundary is actually in your driveway or is there some kind of special agreement in the deeds that allow that setup? That could get very confusing. I'd be very clear about who has what first.

It's all installed, I saidni didn't mind asking as the flue went up and terminated above the roof.
Yeah their internal wall and therefore natural boundary is actually in my drive way, there's nothing in the deeds relating to any special setup for the boundary line. Its been like this since the houses were first built.

Does that garden wall actually run along the boundary line then or is it say a couple of hundred mm to the right of the boundary? I think you need to check your deeds and be very clear about where the boundary actually is.

That could be a real recipe for disagreements in the future, especially when it comes to any future prospective buyers, if the boundary is actually in your driveway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back