Fumes Through Window From Neighbours Flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 1158 View media item 1159
Our neighbour had a boiler installed about 4 years ago. The images above are from our bedroom, looking across our flat garage roof, to the neighbours flue protruding from their wall. The distance from our window to their wall is 2.6 metres. Our window opens at the top (transom type).

We have recently started to use this room, and have noticed that with the wind in a certain direction and the window open, you sometimes get a waft of fumes from the flue. It doesn't fill the room, but when it happens you can smell it if you are witin a couple of feet of the window.

Can anyone tell me if this flue is positioned in accordance with the regulations. Is it right for a flue to discharge over someone else's property.

I would appreciate any advice on ways of rectifying this.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
"BS 5440-1
It is recommended that the fanned flue terminal
Should be positioned as follows:
a) At least 2m from an opening in the building directly
opposite, and
b) so that the products of combustion are not directly
directed to discharge across a boundary."

The whole area's a bit muddled. As it isn't a Gas Safety issue, Corgi aren't interested. But Environmental Health ARE - try calling them (local council). Please tell us what they say!

HI

some boiler flues can be fitted with extra flue kit which allows exhaust fumes to be discharged at a higher point.etc.
if you can talk to your neighbour maybe he will consider that and it is not that expensive.

Sponsored Links
TBH after 4 years I don't think there will be much you can do about it. The excuse that you haven't been using the room up to now is a bit lame. The problem should have been dealt with when the boiler was installed. If the external surface of you neighbour's wall is the boundary between the two properties then there is a matter of trespass caused by both the flue & the lower copper pipe (what is that by the way?)

many thanks for your replies.

Giblets, yes the wall is the boundary of the neighbour's property.The flue and the copper pipe (pressure release valve poss.???) are over our garage roof.

Tell your neighbour that you are considering building a second floor onto the garage.

If you lok at the overhang of the eaves they come past the flue so this would be the actual boundary line, so the flue terminal is actually still on the neighbours property. Although it doesn`t meet the current 600mm to adjoining boundary.
Which would only be classed as not to current standard

But you must have a really acute sense of smell to be smelling CO2 and H20 (both harmless in this situation) from such a distance and being severly diluted by time it gets anywhere near the window.
Personally i would not worry in any way

Tell your neighbour that you are considering building a second floor onto the garage.

I personally would not have done it like that for the above reason. I wouldn't want a call back.
Vertical flue kit and send the PRV somewhere else and there's no problem. (apart from cost of course.)

Thanet.

But you must have a really acute sense of smell to be smelling CO2 and H20 (both harmless in this situation) from such a distance and being severly diluted by time it gets anywhere near the window.

Very acute indeed as they are both odourless! ( In their pure form! )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back