Is this Legal or Illegal

It's the shape of the buildings causing the problem. If you released smoke in the area it would tend to rotate. My bet is that the neighbour would say it was just as much your flue as theirs causing the problem (regardless that it is installed legally).

Sponsored Links
Is the whole of the yard yours up to the wall with the flue?

If so then he has no right to discharge over your land.

Tony

Is the whole of the yard yours up to the wall with the flue?

If so then he has no right to discharge over your land.

Tony

Thanks for comments....

My land finishes were our conservatory starts, the boiler has been there for at least 2yrs but we only just started smelling fumes recently.....As its a combi boiler it comes on when they shower, bathe or run hot water tap so yes even in this weather it's used as they are up at stupid hours in the evening.... We had new boiler installed in Oct 11 and corgi guy who installed ours did comment on how close to the window the neighbours flue was.

C'mon!! Common sense would tell you to buy a CO monitor & fit it in your Bedroom, before doing anything else. I'm not sure that's an opening window on the neighbours house, perhaps the OP could use his telephoto lens & get us a close-up of that window??

Of course if there's a danger to the kids it should be reported.

Have purchased a Co monitor this afternoon and will report outcome.....
As for peeping tom I was taking photos of my damaged conservatory and I did ask her to smile....My guttering and conservatory roof has baked on dust as the builder couldnt be arsed sheeting up......

Sponsored Links
C'mon!! Common sense would tell you to buy a CO monitor & fit it in your Bedroom, before doing anything else. I'm not sure that's an opening window on the neighbours house, perhaps the OP could use his telephoto lens & get us a close-up of that window??

Of course if there's a danger to the kids it should be reported.

Have purchased a Co monitor this afternoon and will report outcome.....
As for peeping tom I was taking photos of my damaged conservatory and I did ask her to smile....My guttering and conservatory roof has baked on dust as the builder couldnt be a***d sheeting up......

Yes the windows do open and is approx 8" from open window.

A few points
First i take it that is your flue on the wall above the conservatory which is a lot closer to your window than your neighbours flue is so why do you think yours is not the one that maybe causing you problems???.

Some people are mentioning the flue is too close to the corner they must be better than me because without knowing which boiler it is they cannot say this as many boilers allow this distance to be 25 mm.

Whether its too close to the actual owners window is only relevant if the fumes entered there property it doesnt come into play regards your house .

A few points
First i take it that is your flue on the wall above the conservatory which is a lot closer to your window than your neighbours flue is so why do you think yours is not the one that maybe causing you problems???.

Some people are mentioning the flue is too close to the corner they must be better than me because without knowing which boiler it is they cannot say this as many boilers allow this distance to be 25 mm.

Whether its too close to the actual owners window is only relevant if the fumes entered there property it doesnt come into play regards your houe .

My flue is 10" off top of roof line and is over 8ft away from our window and not in a confined space. Our neighbours flue discharges into a 3ft gap and has 3 walls around it, I'm no expert but thought hot air rises (if so mine goes over roof & next door comes up the rear wall into our bedroom)

Will report it to the govening bodies anyhow!!!!

How is it in a confined space any more than yours is at that height by the time it reaches same height as yours the products of combustion which have already been diluted(as has been pointed out) would be far less intrusive than your boiler would be if the wind was blowing your fumes directly back at your window.
Be interesting when you contact the governing bodies if they actually visit and if they pick up on your boiler not meeting the relevant codes of practise regards a boiler installed last year

How is it in a confined space any more than yours is at that height by the time it reaches same height as yours the products of combustion which have already been diluted(as has been pointed out) would be far less intrusive than your boiler would be if the wind was blowing your fumes directly back at your window.
Be interesting when you contact the governing bodies if they actually visit and if they pick up on your boiler not meeting the relevant codes of practise regards a boiler installed last year

I presume (which I know you should not do!) that my boiler is a condensing boiler and emits far less harmful fumes than that of an old std. combi boiler. Please clarify what codes of practice does my boiler not conform too?

Gas Safe will not be interested. HSE will not turn up this side of 2018.

Gas Safe will not be interested. HSE will not turn up this side of 2018.

Thats true it takes a tragic accident to get any of these govening bodies to act.....usually too late!!!!

What's the point?

What makes you think your boiler gives out less harmless fumes than a standard boiler. Some would say they give out a slightly more toxic emmision when you take it right to every little bits it gives out in its products of combustion
There is one code that your flue position doesnt meet but hey you paid for it so i aint gonna give you rocks to throw at your installer as in my opinion it is a stupid code in a lot of instances and yours is one

I presume (which I know you should not do!) that my boiler is a condensing boiler and emits far less harmful fumes than that of an old std. combi boiler. Please clarify what codes of practice does my boiler not conform too?

Your 'presumption' is wrong.

We had new boiler installed in Oct 11 and corgi guy who installed ours did comment on how close to the window the neighbours flue was.

Which was when you started noticing the "problem" I expect.

You've had a row with your neighbours about their building work and now you'd like Gas Safe to come around and impose massive fines on them because their boiler mildly irritates you.

It won't happen, find something else to torment them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back