Is this Legal or Illegal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our next door neighbours Gas Combi Boiler Flue sends fumes into our bedroom, when we have our window open and their boiler operates we can smell and often wake in morning with a sore throat or headache.....

Please advise if the location of the flue could be causing the problem....Also please can someone advise who we should contact to get it inspected as we do not speak to our neighbour...:cool: ...

Sponsored Links
How far away is the boundary from the flue.

A pic and information would help.

flues should not cause a nuisance, they should also be fitted certain distances from windows/boundries etc. contact gas safe to get it inspected.

Sponsored Links
Our next door neighbours Gas Combi Boiler Flue sends fumes into our bedroom, when we have our window open and their boiler operates we can smell and often wake in morning with a sore throat or headache.....

Please advise if the location of the flue could be causing the problem....Also please can someone advise who we should contact to get it inspected as we do not speak to our neighbour...:cool: ...

Sorry mate but you don't have a leg to stand on. It's too far away from your window.

What has happened in this country, everyone is fighting with their neighbours??!!! I mean if you live on top of each other & can't afford a large house & garden, get over yourself. Try helping your neighbours & get to know them, it works wonders son.

Englishmans' home is his Castle............Not if you ain't got a Moat & live in a small terraced house............ :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry mate but you don't have a leg to stand on. It's too far away from your window.

What has happened in this country, everyone is fighting with their neighbours??!!! I mean if you live on top of each other & can't afford a large house & garden, get over yourself. Try helping your neighbours & get to know them, it works wonders son.

Englsihmans home is his Castle............Not if ain't got a Moat & live in a small terraced house............ :LOL: :LOL:

Not complaining cause i don't get on with the neighbours.... I also do have a ticker (heart) as they have kids sleeping in room next to ours and have there back door open when boiler is running too! The flue should'nt be above back door and next to an opening window ANYWAY!

Not so sure about that Deltat2, it's certainly too close to their window and the corner.

Thats not the question being asked though ,

OP
the distance from your opening window to flue even if there was a problem with there boiler and the fumes where not just the usual carbon dioxide and water vapour the products would usually be far too diluted to be causing you any problem.
You could pay some one to do a CO reading in your room whilst your neighbours boiler is on.
Also i very much doubt there boiler is on at night at present anyway for you to be getting sore throat etc from it

Not so sure about that Deltat2, it's certainly too close to their window and the corner.

Your right DIA, it's too close to their window...................I didn't notice that, I was distracted by that nice young lady looking at her nosey neighbour taking photos of her house................ :LOL: :LOL:

Your neighbour looks suitably impressed, peaking from under the scaffolding!
Can't comment on the flue in relation to the corner and their window as the distances are not clear, although the flue does look a bit close.
The boiler manufacturers minimum distances must be applied to any new install. If you really have no communication with your neaghbour, then you can only get it checked by a Gassafe inspection.

Your neighbour looks suitably impressed, peaking from under the scaffolding!
Can't comment on the flue in relation to the corner and their window as the distances are not clear, although the flue does look a bit close.
The boiler manufacturers minimum distances must be applied to any new install. If you really have no communication with your neaghbour, then you can only get it checked by a Gassafe inspection.

Aye, good luck with trying to get hold of a Gas Safe inspector, let alone getting one into your neighbours house, if I was them I'd get you arrested for being a Peeping Tom!!

It's a no brainier !!!

Too close to corner and too close to openable window. Also causing a nuisance so totally not to regulations.
Is this a recent thing ? Have they recently moved it there ?

You need to report it before someone dies !!!!!!!
In the meantime keep the window firmly closed.

Not complaining cause i don't get on with the neighbours.... I also do have a ticker (heart) as they have kids sleeping in room next to ours and have there back door open when boiler is running too! The flue should'nt be above back door and next to an opening window ANYWAY!

Just look at the Installation Instructions for any recent boiler (available online) and there is a chart in there giving minimum distances from openable windows, doors, boundaries, etc.. If it is a recent installation and it contravenes those distances, ask him politely to get his installer back to rectify it.

For a random example, Page 26 here;
http://www.vaillant.co.uk/stepone2/data/downloads/b2/43/00/ecotec-plus-installation-manual.pdf

If it's doesn't contravene those minimum distances or it's not recent, you're probably wasting your time trying to get him to shift it.

distances become irrelevant if indeed POC are entering a property. Get a cod detector in your bedroom if it goes off, call the National Grid.

C'mon!! Common sense would tell you to buy a CO monitor & fit it in your Bedroom, before doing anything else. I'm not sure that's an opening window on the neighbours house, perhaps the OP could use his telephoto lens & get us a close-up of that window??

Of course if there's a danger to the kids it should be reported.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back