gas fire curiosity - huge flames, but little heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New neighbours have moved in next door and asked me about one of the previous owners gas fires. It's a nice cast iron art-deco thing that needs to be lit by match. I was asked about it becuase the new owners thought I might know why it produces huge yellow flames, but doesn't warm the room. I remember when the previous owners had it fitted (they invited everyone around to show it off!) and the "man of the house" saying that it had some special sand of some kind in a tray, and that produced the heat. At least I think that was what he said. Am I remembering this right? it was many years ago. Rather than mention this to the new neighbours I thought I would ask this forum first, just in case it was complete nonsense and I misheard what I was originally told. Didn't want to appear a complete twit! Anyway, they are having a gas-bloke come around to look at it, but I am still curious. How does the thing work? or is it just a poor fire that can't produce much heat. strange?

Sponsored Links
Turn gas fire off and get a corgi gas to inspect the fire.yellow flame means lack of oxygen ,in complete combustion very dangerous could produce carbon monoxide

The sand defuses the gas/flame the heat is produced by the flame heating the logs/coals.

But flame should not be yellow

The flames are post aereated thats why they are yellow, inefficient and produce co due to incomplete combustion!

Get it checked by RGI who will check the flue and ventilation and hopefully persuade them to disconnect it!!

Sponsored Links
having just read your reply I've nipped next door to tell them not to siwtch it on, just in case of carbon monoxide gas. Thanks guys. Just as well someone is coming to have a look at it. There's no immediate danger, if the heater is switched off is there?

open-fronted (not enclosed in glass) gas-coals and gas-logs are just for looking at - they produce very litte heat for all the gas the burn. Most of it goes up the chimney.

My old mum has one because she likes wasting gas - you can turn it down to give glowing hot coals with very little visible flame.

Huge flames are wrong.

Terrible things - invented many, many years ago for the film industry so that the flames looked the same take after take after take.

IMHO should be banned retrospectively.

80% of the heat goes up the chimney!

They are there for visual aspects NOT to provide any significant heat!

Tony

Some of it could be that it is a DFE .... Decorative Fuel Effect fire.
Look on the data plate. If the output is only a couple of Kw its definitely a DFE

Obviously a DFE is just meant to look pretty rather than be an effective space heater.

If the output is around the 5-6 kw mark then it does indeed sound like an ILFE.... Inset Live Fuel Effect fire, with a problem and should not be used until checked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back