Gas fire help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning. The domestic controller wants the old gas fire in our lounge gone. Probably to be replaced with a bioethanol stove (wood burner too expensive. I won that battle ).

Please can anyone help me understand what's currently installed?
Is the connection at the wall an isolation valve? (See attached pics). Thanks.

20240302_083637.jpg
20240302_083645.jpg

Sponsored Links
It’s a restrictor elbow and can close the gas off, but don’t think it’s classed as an isolation valve.

Sponsored Links
1000011047.jpg

1000011048.jpg

All done. Wrapped in Denso tape and filled with expanding foam, filler to finish off. I have marked the position of the pipe on the skirting board. Any great ideas for marking it on the wall future reference?

Best practice would see the gas pipe cut back at the branch off the main supply pipe.

Always easier to cut it at the outlet end but could cause tracing issues later if there was a gas leak.

Best practice would see the gas pipe cut back at the branch off the main supply pipe.

Always easier to cut it at the outlet end but could cause tracing issues later if there was a gas leak.

Until recently pretty much every house had a live gas point, sometimes concealed by plasterboard in front of builders opening / flue box.
On modernish houses you will never find the supppy Tee, and if high did it would be a fairly significant job

Good morning. The domestic controller wants the old gas fire in our lounge gone. Probably to be replaced with a bioethanol stove (wood burner too expensive. I won that battle ).

Please can anyone help me understand what's currently installed?
Is the connection at the wall an isolation valve? (See attached pics). Thanks.

View attachment 335071View attachment 335072
Have you considered the cost of bio fuel - as far as I can see it is at least 50p per Kw, bought in small bulk.

Until recently pretty much every house had a live gas point, sometimes concealed by plasterboard in front of builders opening / flue box.
On modernish houses you will never find the supppy Tee, and if high did it would be a fairly significant job

Last gas leak I went to was exactly that. Leak was found after 3 hours of tracing pipework and was found on the old gas fire supply that was tee'd off the main supply and had been capped under the floor beside the builders opening, where the restrictor had been. It was eventually found under a loose floorboard at the lounge door, where a badly clipped pipe had been moving and eventually cracked a joint. The branch was found under floor at the meter and was cut and capped at that point.

Tend to find a lot of the old properties up here are like that and the branch to a fire/cooker is found nearer the meter.

Last gas leak I went to was exactly that. Leak was found after 3 hours of tracing pipework and was found on the old gas fire supply that was tee'd off the main supply and had been capped under the floor beside the builders opening, where the restrictor had been. It was eventually found under a loose floorboard at the lounge door, where a badly clipped pipe had been moving and eventually cracked a joint. The branch was found under floor at the meter and was cut and capped at that point.

Tend to find a lot of the old properties up here are like that and the branch to a fire/cooker is found nearer the meter.
I was referring more to newer houses that tend to have screeded floors or suspended (?) a couple of inches of concrete, the floor being large chipboard sheets.

I would suspect that if a joint failed it was badly made in the go rust place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back