Gas fire isolation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a gas fire that was fitted a number of years ago by a gas safe engineer, never had an issue when serviced in the past.

Today we had it serviced (different engineer) and was informed that a gas restrictor valve should have been fitted instead of a gas isolation valve!?

Is there a fundamental difference between the two and should a gas restrictor be fitted instead?

Pics attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231027-165951.jpeg
    Screenshot_20231027-165951.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20231027-170010.jpeg
    Screenshot_20231027-170010.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20231027-170052.jpeg
    Screenshot_20231027-170052.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
I wouldn't trust the opinion of these so called gas safe engineers, the last two I have had in this house were incompetent. One did not know how a gas fire isolation valve worked and the other could not find a simple boiler ignition fault.

I should add in both cases waffled on and on till the cows came home!

If your fire is the one in the picture (Robinson Wiley firegem visa), then I can’t see it in the instructions, and the attachment shows the stance in the gas regulations.

Attachments

• 9817B99E-94B9-437B-8776-DE0AB4C8187A.jpeg
    9817B99E-94B9-437B-8776-DE0AB4C8187A.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As suggested, there isn't really anything in the regs that say it can't be used. A gas tap valve may be easier to tamper with/get knocked they can be used as a means of isolation. Would a restrictor elbow be more tamperproof and secure, possibly but no rule that says a valve tap couldn't be used.

I wouldn't trust the opinion of these so called gas safe engineers,

... And unfortunately it seems you've been unlucky ... the long and the short of it is though that if you need someone to work on your gas appliance then you need to trust at least one of them as they're the only ones that are legally qualified to work it.

The only thing I would add is that a restrictor elbow would be the usual thing to find screwed down beside a hearth to bring a 15mm gas pipe out from the floor and reduce to a 8/10mm chrome feed for a radiant fire, would usually be what I would fit and would be much more secure than a loose pipe with a valve on it.

1698442151688.png

Guy is talking pure and utter nonsense do not use him again if he doesnt even know the basics

The only thing I would add is that a restrictor elbow would be the usual thing to find screwed down beside a hearth to bring a 15mm gas pipe out from the floor and reduce to a 8/10mm chrome feed for a radiant fire, would usually be what I would fit and would be much more secure than a loose pipe with a valve on it.

View attachment 318724
In our case the pipe is not chrome, it is 8mm copper pipe

Reactions: CBW
Guy is talking pure and utter nonsense do not use him again if he doesnt even know the basics
Exactly, so isn't it about time "gas safe" got there house in order and removed accreditation from such people as they are a danger to the public and bring the whole system into disrepute.

EDIT : I do apologize I did not want to hijack this thread, just venting after some bad experiences as I have yet to find a good gas person around where I live and I am sure I am not alone, OP included!

Last edited:
Exactly, so isn't it about time "gas safe" got there house in order and removed accreditation from such people as they are a danger to the public and bring the whole system into disrepute.
I appreciate what you’re saying, and we know there’s good and bad in the industry. It’s not a danger to the public if they’re ill advising on fittings that do not constitute a danger. If you want to discuss this further, why not create your own thread and the professionals on here might be able to give you advice, if that’s what’s needed? Not knowing a simple ignition fault - could be they’ve only just passed, or only worked on installs.

always hated restrictor elbows and the pipe on view to the fire. always tried to hide them.
restrictor elbows serve a purpose and the associated pipe work is more robust than copper weaving its way over the hearth etc, plus it looks like it belongs there. its the way it used be done.
personally i hide all my pipes and wires where practical, i'd use either of the isolators depending on the installation requirements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back