Isolating gas fire - what to expect ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I get leapt on, I'm getting my boiler serviced soon but also want to remove my gas fire so will get the Gas Safe engineer to cap it off / isolate it so I can remove and brick up the flue holes.

The fire is a nightmare - we lose so much heat from the draught around the flue - I've a feeling its leaking anyway as we hear everything the neighbours do through it and there is always a draught around the fire.

Attached a photo of the valve near the fire - how long should this take the engineer to cap off so I can budget for it ?

Ta
Dom

Sponsored Links
It looks like copper tube coming up from under the floor. Its best capped under the floor if you can lift the boards.

I dont know why you think its important to know how long it may take to do.

It would take me about 15 minutes if you had first lifted the boards. But so what?

If that were difficult the it could be cut off above the floor and the paint striped off and then capped off. That would take me about 30 minutes. But so what?

Tony

If that were difficult the it could be cut off above the floor and the paint striped off and then capped off. That would take me about 30 minutes. But so what
?

Or sweat off the 15x1/4" adaptor, cap and push back down under the floor, if wood.

But, OP, why not just ask the RGI?

I would always avoid using heat when there is a risk of burning his paintwork and/or carpet.

Its not worth risking having to replace a £2000 carpet for a £15-£30 capping off.

Tony

Sponsored Links
no but their will be an easyier way just wait till the rgi get`s their and ask him or her

[quote="Agile";p="2150584"]I would always avoid using heat when there is a risk of burning his paintwork and/or carpet.

Its not worth risking having to replace a £2000 carpet for a £15-£30 capping off.

Tony[/quote]

Er:

Tony: If that were difficult the it could be cut off above the floor and the paint striped off and then capped off. That would take me about 30 minutes. But so what?

So you are suggesting using a compression cap? FFS, have you never heard of a heat mat, and there is bags of room for it. And I beleive you were referring to soldering it, otherwise you would have sugggested a 1/4" cap, which would preclude cutting and stripping.

[quote="Agile";p="2150584"]I would always avoid using heat when there is a risk of burning his paintwork and/or carpet.

Tony

Er:

Tony: If that were difficult the it could be cut off above the floor and the paint striped off and then capped off. That would take me about 30 minutes. But so what?

So you are suggesting using a compression cap? FFS, have you never heard of a heat mat, and there is bags of room for it.[/quote]
best heat mat i have is closure plate aslo you can spray stuff now for carpet and paint work if too close

Not decided on which RGI we're going for yet - working out if we're going to do the fire this year when we get the boiler serviced or wait until next year when we have more funds available (hence wanting to know roughly how long it will take).

The pipe is behind the telly / stereo etc which is a pain in the arse to get out but we're having cavity wall insulation installed this week so it all has to come out anyway (not outside access so its got to be filled from the inside part of this wall). Was thinking of getting it all capped off while there was easy access.

Floor is solid concrete so its not going back under there !

Carpets are crap - thoroughly abused by the last house owners and lift easily from around the pipe anyway.

If its a £15-£30 job then the buggers getting capped off ! I'll start ringing round some recommended installers later today.

If its a £15-£30 job then the b*****r getting capped off ! I'll start ringing round some recommended installers later today.[/quote]

Personaly, I don't do ANY job for £30, but know some would. If I was doing iot as a STAND ALONE job, I would be pulling back carpet, chopping floor around pipe, and capping under floor level, unless you are happy with the pipe poking out of the floor. I would charge about £70 inc vat, (assuming I could park free outside your home etc). I would charge a little less if Iwas already there servicing your boiler, so it makes sense to ask your boiler man if he can give you a cost to copmplete at the same time.

I think what Tony was trying to say is that it is irellevant how long a job it is, but how much is someone going to charge is the question to ask.

1/4 cap and a soundness test while already on the job doing a service . A cup of tea and a biscuit would be the norm its called customer service for just over a 5 min job .
But each to there own but always remember the free job and being helpfull leads to the high profit jobs in the future

if i was servicing the boiler i would also cap it off above the floor for a cup of tea, but i'm nice (and don't have a business to run) if it needed to go under the floor etc then i would add a reasonable sum to he boiler price, if i was doing it as a stand alone job then £40-50 depending on travel/parking as i would do it at a suitable time for me perhaps when i had a quote or job in the same area soon, if tied down to a specific appointment then £50+

Maybe those nice guys would also charge you about £85 for the boiler service.

When I am only charging from £55 then I would charge a little extra for a capping off, usually the £15-£30.

Tony

When I am only charging from £55

Tony

To which boilers do you only charger £55 , which boilers & why would the price increase from £55?

Had to service a Keston Qudos 28s today , 2 hours later..................

Serviced a worcester highflow 550cdi last week , three hours later.....

Cheer guys - just wished some of you lived a bit closer :cool:

Quite happy with it capped off above floor level - it means if the wife changes her mind we can have another fire there without too much of a problem.

There was a groupon offer for boiler service for just £29 for any boiler.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back