gas fire leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know if it is nomal for a gas fire to emit a small amount of gas when switched off? The reason I ask is that I had a nu-flame fire installed last year (strip of flame type on a bed of pebbles) and when I was working close up to it yesterday I kept smelling gas now and again. It was only for a second or two at a time and wasn't a strong smell. I could only smell it when I was right in front of it, literally with my face next to the opening, not elsewhere in the room.
Touched the fire's rear surround and what I gues is thick black soot came off on my hand.
The fire has also within the last week started beeping when we switch it on. It has always given a single beep when switching on, but this is now followed by a series of beeps - two, then three, followed by another two or three.
Many thanks
Jono

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back