Gas Fire Permanent Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have removed the gas fire from my lounge as we haven't used it since we moved in 3 years ago, and also it's the perfect spot for my new telly. I'm just wondering what to do with the flue. The house is 13 years old so the flue type is the wall cavity, to steel pipe in the loft, to Ridge Vent on roof type.

Some people say leave open at top and make sure its vented at bottom!

Others say its ok to seal top and bottom!

Thoughts?

Many thanks

20140517_001855.jpg

Sponsored Links
You should make your it's left open at the top and that there is a vent at the bottom.

Dont bother with a vent in bottom ,you will not need it with precast.
Houses are now built with them being completly plastered over and have been for the past 20 years and its down to the occupier whether they want to open it up and fit a fire .
And as for weather getting in ridge tile just look around at roofs and see all the vent tiles you know see the weather doesnt get into them

Ok as I suspected, the answers are already split. Gas112 I obviously prefer your reply over ALC's. Can you point me to any documentation to backup your answer?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
No documentation , just the experience of working in hundreds and hundreds of new builds over the past 20 odd years that have been left exactly how you want to do with no ill affects showing on decoration were flue is behind plasterboard were owners have chosen not to open up the flue into the room and its still all connected to ridge tile

More to the point, watcha gonna do with that restrictor elbow ? You can't leave an open end like that.

looks like it already has a 1/4 inch brass plug in it

Thanks for your advice Gas, I will do as you say. Is it literally a standard sheet of plasterboard that normally covers the flue opening then?

Yes I have plugged the restrictor elbow. I will be getting someone in to chop it back.

Thanks

A standard sheet of plasterboard is fine.

In the unlikely event of damp issues arising you can drill a few holes in it or fit a dinky little brass grille.

Every hour of the last two winters the warm air in the living room, heated at your and the planet's expense, has been gently but continuously convecting up the chimney and drawing in replacement cold air through adventitious gaps in the building fabric.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back