Gas Fire Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i want to take our gas fire out as it is never used and i can create more space in our living room by binning it.

I am assuming i am not allowed to do it as i am not a gas man but what is needed to be done and how much (ish) would i be looking at to get it done? I can remove the fire myself i just want the gas disconected.

There is what i belive is called a gas restrictor elbow, does this isolate the gas as well or will whoever does it have to isolate it another way?

I just like to understand how this sort of stuff works so when i get some quotes i can (hopefully) find out if i am being waffled to.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The restrictor elbow has a valve inside which can be closed. If that was all that was done then there would have to be a plug inserted intot he outlet.

The pureists would say the restrictor elbow should be removed if its never intended to use it again.

If you could lift the floor boards and it was copper pipe then we would charge about £65 to cap it off under the floor. If it was iron we would need access to the next screwed joint.

We would charge about £45 if we could come when we were passing or for £5 extra if we did a boiler service for £55.

Tony

Many thanks for the reply Tony.

If i have it isolated by the restrictor elbow with a cap on the end of it, is that an acceptable practice? I am assuming this would be a cheaper option? Or is there a reason why 'the purists' say remove it?

Our sofa will be going where the fire is now and wont be moved around in the future as our tv is being mounted on the opposite wall, so the elbow will be well out of sight and not be able to be knocked.

Thanks

As I meant to say we would charge about £45 to close and plug a restrictor elbow.

I am inclined to suggest that you ask a purist!

I would expect a purist to say that a res elbow WITHOUT a gas pipe attached is less obtrusing and more likely to sustain accidental damage and therefore would be at greated risk and should be removed.

Its surprising that a purist has not commented ( yet ).

Bye

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back