Gas fire..... Should this be able to occur ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
upload_2022-2-25_15-19-55.png

I thought the whole idea of Gas Safety Cut off valves, was to prevent un-lit gas from emitting.

The gas fire Pilot light has ignited and the Thermocouple is heated sufficiently to allow gas through but pilot flame is not reaching the burner ?

The pilot light assembly has an L shape channel, which is intended to direct gas to both, the burner and over the thermocouple.

This is my elderly Father’s gas fire, which he ignited correctly, and then turned it to heat settings 4; luckily, I was there and I noticed the burner had not lit.

My elderly Father has Dementia, he was totally oblivious.

I hate to imagine what could have happened if my Father was by his self and a build up of Gas had occurred and ignited.

So, it this an issue that occurs from time to time and the fire requires a replacement Pilot light assembly or should I be notifying the gas fire manufacturers?

Sponsored Links
When was the fire last serviced?

The problem that you describe is not unusual. There is little danger, as there IS aflame so will light before filling the house. However, it could be a very loud and frightening bang, and would be scary for your dad.

The cause is likely to be dust or fluff and is nearly always easily remedied. Many gas fire makers specify a new one every year fir the warranty, but the cost makes the warranty worthless.

Not sure when fire was last inspected, it’s a private rented property and the Landlord normally organises Gas Safety Inspection.

I’ve vacuumed around the pilot light assembly and it’s now operating as it should.

Thanks for the replies.

Sponsored Links
Theres not much you can do if your Dad is in rented but, by and large, the elderly& esp. anyone with dementia should not be allowed near any gas appliances - gas fires and cookers can be deadly for them.
Thats why so many housing assn's & councils have only elec equipped flats etc.
Perhaps, the best you can do in your Father's circumstances is to make sure you have alarms that work, and gently keep a little pressure on the landlord that they keep up to date with Gas Safety.

Yeah, landlord’s a pain, does the bare minimum.

I would of thought, Councils & Housing Ass flats are becoming all electric due to liability & Gas Safety Inspections + the possible increase of tenants by-passing gas meters, risk of explosions affecting multiple properties, rather than because of elderly tenants with dementia.

Other than carbon monoxide detectors, I didn’t believe gas detectors were available ?

Yeah, landlord’s a pain, does the bare minimum.

I would of thought, Councils & Housing Ass flats are becoming all electric due to liability & Gas Safety Inspections + the possible increase of tenants by-passing gas meters, risk of explosions affecting multiple properties, rather than because of elderly tenants with dementia.

Other than carbon monoxide detectors, I didn’t believe gas detectors were available ?

Gas detectors ARE available but stupidly expensive.
If I was a LL, so would not be renting with a gas fire - assuming there is heating, tge tenant would be responsible for obtaining an electric fire if they required it.

EDIT: It seems that I am out of date - there is a Domestic GD on Amazon at £23.99!

OP,
Local authorities & Hse Assn's have been building purpose built all electric flats since the seventies - often custom prepared precisely for elderly and challenged tenants. No one else is allowed to rent there.

OP,
Local authorities & Hse Assn's have been building purpose built all electric flats since the seventies - often custom prepared precisely for elderly and challenged tenants. No one else is allowed to rent there.

Yeah, I believe there was a serious gas explosion in a high rise flat during the 60’s or maybe earlier, which caused the change.
When I lived in an all electric high rise flat in the 90’s, it still had an old gas meter, although disconnected.

I thought you was saying that Councils & Hs’ing Ass were changing to all electric because of elderly residents with dementia.

Last edited:
Yeah, I believe there was a serious gas explosion in a high rise flat during the 60’s or maybe earlier, which caused the change.

Yes, I believe that the explosion at Ronan Point in 1968 led directly to the introduction of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back