Gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping I may find some assisstance here, Not entirely sure if i should of posted here or appliances forum,

I have a wall mounted gas fire (as picture), and are currently marketing my house , the gas fire Knob for turning on needs replacing as the chrome plastic socket as rounded, that dosent stop me using a simple pliers to turn on though.

My problem is that although the ignition sparks at the pilot, it will not light the pilot light, I have to do this with a gigar lighter, I know spare parts are available and that i would need to get a gas safe operator to fix it, but i am looking for opinions at this stage.

As said the ignition sparks on turning the knob, but the pilot does not light...its been mentioned that it could be the thermocouple, but research tells me that this must be ok as when lit with cigar lighter the pilot stays on and fire can be turned on.

Any help much appreciated.

View media item 60817

Sponsored Links
If you can light the fire with a cigar lighter, then gas must be getting through....I would imagine that the igniter spark isn't in the correct position for automatic ignition, or the spark is weak due to maybe tracking somewhere on its lead.....just a theory.
The thermocouple keeps the gas flowing once the pilot light is lit.
John :)

Yes thanks, that sounds about right!!

The spark is quite visible and looks strong, I have tried to change the position but not to any succsess.

What "new part" may i need, or what else may i do.

Russell

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't worry about just use a lighter. My mums fire hasn't lit with the sparker for the last 30 years.

:D

A new control knob should be easy to find if you go the local plumb centre.

That is a Flavel Renaissance fire. A proper service will sort the ignition problem. I could have it working in less than one minute.

However, the knob rounding off could be caused by the tap being dry. Often easily remedied by greasing, but sometimes requires a new tap. Not a DIT job.

Like the idea that you could have it fully operational in less than one minuite.

Not a big problem then!!??

Like the idea that you could have it fully operational in less than one minuite.

Not a big problem then!!??

No. That's why I could get it running so quickly! (99% of the time). We are, however, not allowed to give gas advice. Also, the problem is, to an extent, indicative of the likelihood that it hasn't been serviced. Even if I were to visit, I would still have to carry out all the mandatory safety tests, so it isn't actually a one minute job. But I would get it going first, to ensure parts are not required, before stripping down (the fire, not me ;) )

EDIT: Don't forget my comment about the tap - no point in changing the knob if the tap is dry, it will go again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back