Gas fire surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would a fire surround constructed of Conti board, covered with ceramic tiles comply with the current Corgi regulations?

Sponsored Links
IN case you're innocent, you can't even paint thr fire's original case, and you can't put anything closer to it than it states in the instructions. The air intakes have to be completely clear.
Then, tiled contiboard would in my opinion count as a "Non flammable" surface. If you wanted to make a hearth and the bit on the wall on a fireplace (does it have a name?) out of what you suggest you should be OK.

Thanks for your reply ChrisR

bathjobby
I am sorry that you replied to what was a serious question in such a flippant manner. I was actively involved in fitting gas fires for many years, particularly when they began to grow in popularity in the mid l950's.
In those days it was quite common to see DIY constructed fire surrounds made of timber and formica, which was acceptable at that time. There were also numerous tiled surrounds that were modified with hardboard, and wooden battens to accept Gas fires, again acceptable according to the regulations at that time. But things change, and I wanted to find out from currently active installers if my proposal was acceptable.
At present the fashion is for marble surrounds and mock coal or coke fires. But this will change again, eventually marble surronds will become out of fashion, and gas fires will be produced to look like gas fires, not imitation coal fires.

Sponsored Links
thinking you cant use that even tiled as the rear of the board will still be contiboard = flamable you can buy fireproof boarding now very cheap think its called vermiculite boarding or asbestalux ( dont think its asbestos ) . better still is to use marble or the man made substitute selling in BQ and if you dont like the colour tile it

thinking you cant use that even tiled as the rear of the board will still be contiboard = flamable
I'm inclined to disagree with that as the 'adjacent' surface would then be non combustible.
Would be careful though to make sure the tiles were well stuck on as this point would then become valid if they started to drop off.

It can be of combustible material so long as the recommended clearances are kept.
150mm to the side and 200mm above the fire unless the shelf protrudes more than 150mm or further than the convection outlet of the fire in which case the clearance above must be 350mm, Unless the Manufacturers Instructions say otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back