Gas fire with chimney: needs a hood above the coals? (pics)

Silicons - you're falling into the trap of the unknown unknowns.
By putting that unconventional stonehenge model there you're falling foul of a lot of fires' installation instructions on the proximity and position of combustible materials.
I just checked one similar fire's instructions, no way you could fit it.

SO you'll have to get hold of the instr for any fire before you buy it.
Hope you've had the chimney swept and tested??

Sponsored Links
Personally I prefer what was there before, more of a feature :D

I hope that lovely oak is very well seasoned (and I mean WELL SEASONED) otherwise you will find it spliting, cracking and shrinking in two to three months. Don't ask how I know :oops:

I hope that lovely oak is very well seasoned (and I mean WELL SEASONED) otherwise you will find it spliting, cracking and shrinking in two to three months. Don't ask how I know :oops:

:) We're fully expecting it to, along with the two matching oak furniture pieces we had made at the same time. That's the plan. My dad built a similar fire surround in his French cottage using unseasoned oak that is drying out in a beautifully natural way.

Today I spoke to the company that took over the company who made the existing fire and they said that this model was sold both with and without the cast iron surround that I've removed, so when my RGI sees it on Thurs or Fri he might say I can leave it in place provided the finished hole meets the correct dimensions and spec. If he doesn't then we'll replace this fire with a new one. No problem.

So the prophesies of certain doom earlier in this thread might have been a bit hasty but I'm grateful to those of you who raised it as an issue that I need to consider. Thank you. I didn't realise that the surround was integral and vital to some models of fire, although even common sense told me that the exposed fire doesn't look 'right' (hence this thread). :)

Sponsored Links
By the way, don't be deceived by the wide camera angle in the first photo - the new oak is the same size as the old MDF surround. It's not a small room and in our opinion the oak looks perfect. I'm not really seeking opinions on whether people like the style we've chosen but thanks anyway. ;)

Silicons,take a look at something like the Flavel Richmond,it`s a very nice fire with a choice of finish and it`s 80% efficient with a 4kw output.There are loads of fires out there to choose from.Some have their controls near the top for ease of use,some even have a remote control ability.

By way of follow-up for anybody who's interested, and anybody who told me that I was facing certain death with my plans, our helpful local Corgi man came over last week and took a look at the fire.

Provided I create a new hood whose dimensions are appropriate for this fire and chairbrick then I could re-use it safely. The wooden surround is well outside the range for combustible materials (and given that it's the same size and shape as the old wooden surround this isn't a surprise). However, I plan instead to buy a new, more efficient fire and set it far enough back in the chimney breast that a hood won't be necessary.

Once again, I'd like to thank those who made a positive, rational and helpful contribution to this thread*. It's been emotional.
In particular I'd like to thank giblets and macfudd for your input. (I wanted to send you private messages of thanks but the forum won't let me.) giblets, your first reply was perfectly clear.

* Just in case you were wondering, Slugbabydotcom, this doesn't include you ;)

* Just in case you were wondering, Slugbabydotcom, this doesn't include you ;)

I wasn't wondering !
Anyway we are having a big bonfire night do this year. You are welcome to come along for the food but please bring your railway sleepers as we need some decent wood for the fire :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back