gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an attic bedroom with a gas supply for a fire. There was one in place when I bought the house. The fire was condemmed and taken away. I am now about to replace it but have been told I have to have an outset fire (after buying the wrong fire!) The ones I have seen are not very attractive and I want to check if I would be able to have a flueless fire instead. The chimney has a letterbox style fitting where the fire apparently slots into. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
search previous posts on fluless fires then decide if u would have one or NOT,
i would not have anything to do with them at home or paid in someoneelses house- unless its removing it!

Susie, first off, don't lisaten to the doom mongers regarding Flueles fires. Statisticaaly, they are safer than flued!

However, the correct answer is that NO, you can't fit a Flueless ther. They are specifically not allowed in bedrooms.

Who have you been talking to about the fire you've purchased?
Do you know WHY he said you have to have an outset fire?

Letterbox openings, into brickwork are not allowed anyway. Or is the "letterbox" simply on the metal closure plate, with a larger opening behind?

If the existing fire is disconnected, could you post a photograph of the fireplace openiong, with the plate removed? a picture speaks a thosand words.

Otherwise, my advice would be to visit a propr fireplace showroom, and ensure that they have their own fitters, and they will be able to speak, and advise, accurately

Susie, first off, don't lisaten to the doom mongers regarding Flueles fires. Statisticaaly, they are safer than flued!

However, the correct answer is that NO, you can't fit a Flueless ther. They are specifically not allowed in bedrooms.

Who have you been talking to about the fire you've purchased?

Letterbox openings, into brickwork are not allowed anyway. Or is the "letterbox" simply on the metal closure plate, with a larger opening behind?

If the existing fire is disconnected, could you post a photograph of the fireplace openiong, with the plate removed? a picture speaks a thosand words.

Otherwise, my advice would be to visit a propr fireplace showroom, and ensure that they have their own fitters, and they will be able to speak, and advise, accurately

Thank you for your reply. I have taken a few photos and hopefully this will help to remedy this. The thought of paying hundreds of pounds for a fire thaqt looks in my opinion quite ugly is depressing. Can someone tell me what sort of flue this is. The gas engineer who came this morning said that all I can have is an outset fire on this. Is he right?. he did a smoke test and that was all fine. It is very cold in this room and a radiator just isn't enough.
Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Hey, susie, I don't think your pics have posted properly.

I have tried again to upload the photos. If they do not appear they are in my album if you click on my name. Thank you for your continued help!!

expertgasman";p="1775741 said:

However, the correct answer is that NO, you can't fit a Flueless ther. They are specifically not allowed in bedrooms.Who have you been talking to about the fire you've purchased?

and they are safer?? so how come you can fit an OF fire in a bedroom

A gas engineer told me that I had to have an outset fire as that was the only type that would fit my flue. I had the feeling he wasn't too certain as he kept ringing his boss to try and explain this. I don't understand chimneys - see photos in album and have no idea if he is right. The fire I bought was an inset - I thought that would slot in fine not realising how the chimney looked when the back plate was removed. I just think the outset fires are pretty awful and am looking for some solution!!

the best option IF you want a fire in your bedroom is to get a balanced flue fire, they are inherently safer than open flue (and flueless depending on who you listen to and the research you do on potential probs, eg the catalitic convertor in a flueless fire will last "about 10,000hrs" from the MI, who monitors the total use and what happens after 10,000hrs?)

Ok, Susie, we can't tell what type of flue you have, from the photo's. We can tell you that the original fire was fitted contrary to Gas Regs.

Did the fitter tell you that the openinhg has to be enlarged, regardless of the fire you fit?

How old is the house?

The gas fitter didn't say anything about enlarging the opening. The house was built in the 1930s but the attic was converted with building regs in I think 1990. When I bought the house in 2001 the fire there was an outset. At that time there was no central heating in the attic. I have since had a radiator connected to the heating upstairs this was when the fire was condemmed up until then 2007 we were using the fire! Last winter it was perishingly freezing up there which is why I am so desperate to get a new fire installed

Are you sure that,that is an actual chimney?the type of flue fitting you have their(letter box)was outlawed more than 20 years ago but I have seen these things fitted straight into a cavity wall sometimes.The first thing you should do is get someone in(builder/gas fitter)to knock out most of those bricks and see what`s behind them(they`ll have to come out anyway for any type of gas fire) and check the integrity of the flue and carry out a smoke test.

It doesn`t sound like the company who called knows what they`re doing,so don`t get them back.Contact Gas Safe Register,they can give you a list of people in your area who are(hopefully)qualified to work on fires.

There`s gonna be a fair bit of work involved if you do go ahead and fit a gas fire.

Or you could have someone come round and check that you have the correct size of radiator fitted and if necessary upgrade it or fit a 2nd one.

You can't fit a fire there without some major structural work so forget it.

The "letterbox" has been cut into an existing chimney from below and the previous fire was condemned for more than 1 reason.

Buy an electric one or get the rad upgraded and while you are at it get a new "gas engineer"

That hole has been cut into a chimney that is serving a room below yours and you cannot do that its totally illegal and dangerous if the room below has a fire gas or coal you could be getting fumes into your room .Hole needs bricked up asap.

Edit
Tamz missed that you already mentioned it , too much swally last night :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back