gas fire

Sponsored Links
I think the gas fitter checked that the fire below - 2 floors on ground floor was not coming from the same chimney. I held a smoke pellet in the downstairs room while he went back up to the attic and said it was ok no visible smoke. could there be two chimneys or is it definately coming from the same one. Also is it possible to change the upstairs flue or is that so much hard work and expense its not worth it.
Thanks for all contributions I would be lost without this help.

You would need to structurally alter the chimney to be able to fit a fire there.

When the house was built there was no fireplace in the loft. There may have been more than one fireplace in the rooms below. Look up at your chimney and those of your neighbours with similar houses and see. From the photo it looks like there is more than 1.

When the original fire was fitted in the loft they have cut the letterbox into an existing chimney (used or unused?). It is cut in on the rake (angle) and just fits into the 9 x 9".

To alter the chimney would mean taking away all the brickwork to form an opening (catchment area) and inserting lintols or similar across the old one from below and concreting over to seal it. If you were determined to do this consult a builder for their advice. It will not be a cheap job to do.
It is not worth the trouble and expense.
Any real RGI "should" not even consider fitting a fire to the set up you have as it will be dangerous to yourself and family and breach a whole host of regulations as neither should they fit a flueless fire for the same reasons.
Just forget it as a bad idea ;)

Thank you very much for all the information provided regarding this. After hearing your opinions I have come to the sad conclusion that unfortunately electric is the only way forward. How do people get away with fitting these unsafe flues I wonder!

Sponsored Links
How do people get away with fitting these unsafe flues I wonder

Maybe people don't report them when they should? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back