gas fired Central Heating & a Wood Burning Stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been searching the net for a solution to my particular problem all to no avail. i am hopeful that some of you kind gentleman will be able to point me in the right direction. I am a keen DIY'er but certainly no professional.

My Problem is this:
I have a gas fired central Heating system that has in the past provided me with all the heating for my house. this spring I installed a wood burning stove in my front room. --- The same room with the thermostat in --- so as you can imagine when i fire up my stove the front room heats up but the central heating wont fire up to warm the upstairs because the thermostat in the from room is reading a high temperature.

what i want to do is find a solution where i can switch between 2 thermostats depending on whether i have the stove lit or not --- i want to control the central heating with the downstairs thermostat when the fire is not lit and the upstairs thermostat when the fire is lit.
I have TRV's on all the rad's

Any help would be much appreciated :confused:

Sponsored Links
You can fit a second thermostat in parallel.

Or just turn up the one stat when you have the wood fire on. Thats what most would do!

But you should not have a TRV on the rads in the room where the stat is!

Tony

Move the stat. put a trv on the rad where the wood burner is all will work perfect, when the heating is on rad will be on, if you light the log burner the trv will turn that rad off. That's my setup.

Thanks for the replies guys, im gonna go with moving the stat upstairs and setting up the trv's properly.

Cheers
paul..

Sponsored Links
Get a wireless stat try it in different places then

this is what I'm thinking of.
the honeywell SUNDIAL RF2 PACK 1 has a nice timer/programmer that controls a wireless stat sounds perfect for me.
I have a honeywell stat (wired - DT90) right now and i like the TPI function it has and the one in the sundial pack is a straight upgrade to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back