Gas fitting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just had a new kitchen fitted and I had to get a gas pipe moved. The guy who did it used Wickes lead free pre soldered fittings (the solder ring fittings ). I've seen on tha packet that it says not suitable for gas. He says that it's okay and not to worry about it but I am concerned as it must be there for a reason. Any answers or help please?

Sponsored Links
Can't see why, are you sure the packet the fittings came in is the one you are looking at? If he used say a flexible connection or plastic fittings on the water that might be marked "not suitable for gas". Or a water tap likewise.

Yep, he definitely used the fittings from packets that said not suitable for gas. Just a bit concerning really.

Can't think of any reason they are not OK I don't think I would have thought twice about it grabbing a fitting out of my tool bag!
Best course is to contact Wickes customer services, might just be a technicality, a new range has not been put through approval yet, but I would be very interested to know what they say. I would be a bit peeved myself if the fitter used non approved fittings.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I have just had a new kitchen fitted and I had to get a gas pipe moved. The guy who did it used Wickes lead free pre soldered fittings (the solder ring fittings ). I've seen on tha packet that it says not suitable for gas. He says that it's okay and not to worry about it but I am concerned as it must be there for a reason. Any answers or help please?

Are you sure he was a GS RGI? Not many would buy fittings from Wickes??

I've emailed wicks and I'll post a reply if I get one. Thanks

If they are good enough for mains pressure water then gas should be no problem..

Think about it, this fitting carries water under pressure, so carrying gas pressure is nothing.
If you look at the existing gas carrying fittings in your property ( 9 times out of 10 less than adequate ) you may find cause for concern.

Never seen a solder ring fitting that wasnt suitable for Natural gas at domestic pressures, as already said its possible that the manufacturer doesnt have approval yet so that is why it says not suitable but I very much doubt it, I would trust a soldered fitting with domestic gas before anything else

Yep same as others have never heard of a standard soldered fitting that said that so would agree its to put the diyer off . Looked onsite it says suitable for hot and cold doesnt mention gas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back