Gas Flue Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

I am at a loss and have been trawling the internet and making calls for a while to now avail! So of the many forums i found, this one seemed to have some sound advice, so i thought i would ask here. I hope for my first post to be a (maybe in depth) question.

So unexpectedly me and my family have the opportunity to move house. We are absolutely delighted. The process is going fine and now i need to supply a boiler certificate.

Unfortunately as we was really struggling for space we put a small conservatory on the back of the house. However the plumber has advised the flue on the house is too close to the conservatory (combustible) and that the best course of action is a new boiler in the loft...

Obviously this is costly, but im not a moron, and will want to ensure the buyers have a safe home to move into. Had we been staying here to be honest the conservatory would be coming down in another 5-10 years when the kids are a bit older and its less necessary but as i say this is a real one time opportunity...

So he says he cannot fit a flue extension because of the air intake. However the air intake is attached to a moulded cap on the end of the flue which would move with any desired extension.

I have some CAD sketches attached as an example.

So this will take the exhaust and the air intake away from a situation at the moment where the air intake risks run off from the roof. And exhaust away from combustables. Should the conservatory still be steel shielded at the elbow which would be close?

Is this a legitimate solution if using all manufacturer parts (which are available).

Its not a case of shying away from the money etc i want to do whats right. But also have to consider the necessity of certain things.

As a disclaimer, i do value the knowledge and input from my plumber but i get the impression he doesnt want the job as opposed to there not being any other solution. Myself im an industrial engineer working on a variety of services for many years but do not undertake work like this at home myself because safety is paramount. So i need to know if this is a ligeitimate solution and should i be seeking someone else to complete the work.

Thank you in advance for all replies.

Cheers

Rich

Attachments

• Flue1.png
    Flue1.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Flue2.png
    Flue2.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 214
Sponsored Links
The boiler is a Baxi Combi HE133 Plus.

From the manual the installation methos of the flue is "A - Standard Flue"

The Plume displacement kit noted has been advised by Baxi. But as far as im aware this kit takes the inner plume away leaving the air intake at the wall? Thus giving the same potential for water run off into the air intake.

I would be looking at 2 x Part B and 1 x Part B to make the periscope to take the whole thing away. Thus doing the same as the displacement kit but for the whole lot including air intake. Unless the displacement kit does take the whole lot and then id get one of those and cut out the middle pipework...

I cant provide a pic as at work, but we are talking about water run off from conservatory into air intake, so its close!

Again i want to add a disclaimer im not undermining his decision, im an Engineer myself so its important for me to understand if this cant be done why? What are the regs? what is the legislation? If im paying £3500 for a new boiler in the loft as opposed to a few hundred for this alteration, i have a right to these answers rather than "you just cant do it". Previously a project engineer so understanding why is key for me...

Attachments

• Flue3.png
    Flue3.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 199
Sponsored Links
I had my wife take this as i am currently working away.

From the picture i believe the last panel has slid down about an inch possibly. Its not firmly fixed and can be removed. This is because when it went up we saw the problem and left that part waterproof but not finished. Its been up about 6 months. Theres plenty of leeway cutting back the panel, as i say push it up an inch and probbaly take another off it then cap off. But its still going to be 50mm from the roof.

And apologies if i got off on a bad foot, im just having a lot of issues here. If 3.5k is the cost of a bad job on the conservatory so be it. But at the moment im being told "thats just the way it is".

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,299
If the roof were to be trimmed back so it's at least 25mm away from the flue to the side and modified to prevent water streaming down it onto the flue (some kind of deflector maybe?), and the window below is not openable, then there's nothing wrong with this as it is. If the window below is openable, get it changed for a non-openable one.

the pane below is not openable, and the next openable window is on the second panel, ~800mm from the flue outlet.

the deflector makes sense. I think i read somewhere (here actually) about a 1m fire shield? What is the 1m measurement?

Rich

Ok well that gives us some light at the end of the tunnel to go at :)

Hopefully this weekend i will make that modification, and post up a picture. If you guys approve of it (and in meantime if anyone doesnt please dont hesitate to post), i will then seek out an engineer to come take a look and hopefully certificate/service my boiler. I did not want to call others out until i was sure as to not waste anyones time...

Cheers

Rich

**** me, plumber advised to fit new boiler for that! And they wonder why they get a bad rep.

Stick a plume kit on it and your done.

Sounds to me like you employed a boiler salesman rather than a gas engineer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back