Gas hob and safety

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I cannot find the gas related forum, so thought I would post here.

We experienced a problem with the control knob on our gas hob about 4 - 6 weeks ago. I think the control was a bit stuck and did not properly return to the close position, resulting in a small hiss. So we turned off the gas from the main supply to be safe.

Weeks later, we haven't managed to find a suitable replacement hob, so I had a look earlier and thought I'd squirt a bit of WD40 to the problem control to free it up - seems to be ok for now. There isn't anything beneath the panel which the WD40 can affect, can it?

Having had the gas off from the main supply, are there any issues just turning it back on due to the possible build up of pressure? Are there other safety considerations I need to be aware of? Assuming all is ok, can I assume we could continue using the hob as normal without issue?

I'm just wary as dealing with gas appliances usually involves a gas safe engineer? But I am guessing this is only required for the actual connection of a replacement or newly installed gas hob?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You would require a gas safe engineer to perform any maintenance or servicing of the gas appliance, not just installing or replacing it.

If you have had the gas isolated it would be wise to purge the pipework and release any possible air in the pipes.
This can be done by opening the gas controls for short period, this should be done in a ventilated area.
I would say if there is no evidence of gas leaking you would be ok to continue to use, with regards to the control knob repair.

Thanks for your reply and advice.

Regarding your purge comment, I guess this explains the lacklustre flow when it was lit? Seems to be ok now.

Was it dangerous to have ignited with a naked flame without first purging?

How much does it typically cost for a gas safe enginnering to inspect the appliance?

Sponsored Links
I've noticed a very slight trace of gas, so investigated further. After taking one of the rings off and lighting a match, one had a what appears to be a leak (not a flame, but a small lit blob around 4-5mm in diameter.

I have now turned off the gas completely at the mains.

Question is, is it safe (recommended) to turn on the gas at the mains when we want to use (say every evening, then turning off)? Obviously, it's advisable to have it inspected, but is this kind of fault explained above repairable? If so, typically how much?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back