Gas hob electric ignition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Wondered if anyone could help me.

I have recently re-done the kitchen and am fitting a seperate electric overn and gas hob (with electric ignition)

I wanted ot know where i would need ot wire the ignition for the hob to ?

I do not have any fused spurs available (being used by the cooker hood) but wondered if it was possible to either wire it directly to the cooker connections spur or the main cooker connection unit ?

Any assistance welcomed.

Sponsored Links
you need to fuse the supply for the hob down to 3amps, so connecting direct into the cooker outlet is not really an option without considering how to do that.

Depending on the rating of your new oven (single/double?) you could change the cooker outlet to a twin socket. Do you know what the rating of the oven is?

The oven will be a single and have not yet purchased it yet.

All i have set up is the wiring for single cooker unit and then a spur of for the cooker connection.

Sponsored Links
ok. One way then would be at the cooker outlet position, install a double socket. Plug top for the gas ignition, fused at 3amps. Plug top for the single oven fused at 13amps.

You have to make sure that your single oven has a rating of less than about 2800W though.

Another way, if the oven was rated slightly higher, would be to install a cooker unit with socket behind the oven, switched from above. Wire the oven direct to that. Use a plug for the hob fused as before.

Rate the MCB/fuse at 20 amps.

Har_vey said:
ok. One way then would be at the cooker outlet position, install a double socket. Plug top for the gas ignition, fused at 3amps. Plug top for the single oven fused at 13amps.

if you do this its a good idea to use a single-double converter socket rather than changing the backbox so it can be easilly undone later if needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back