Gas hob - one burner does not light

Sponsored Links
Ignition electrode and burner crown/plate probably need cleaned properly.

1st picture top left, white rod that stick up, turn off the power to the hob, use a green scourer and clean that white rod and the little exposed metal rod at the top of it until its clean. On the crown, when it's fitted, that white rod will stick through, use some 180 grit sand paper and clean the corresponding section around where that white rod stick through.

Power back on and check that when ignition is activated that the spark jumps to the crown.

You are missing critical parts from the main burner and the small one at bottom left.
You are missing critical parts from the main burner and the small one at bottom left.
Yes I have these covers. The one on the bottom left works fine with the cover on. The centre one does not. It lights with the cover off and a match stick.

It lights with a match. Stays alight.
Well at least now we know the thermocouple and its valve are ok. I'd guess that grease/crud is partly shorting out the spark energy, or is diverting the spark or gas such that the spark now occurs out of the intended gas flow path.

Sponsored Links
Hi all
Still not there yet. !!
Can’t get it to light with the crown.
Have noticed that the flame goes out when I take my finger of the control knob. Is that significant or to be expected. Here are some more photos. Thanks again all

Attachments

• 055429C1-C06A-4070-A0CA-DFBB3FEEAE04.jpeg
    055429C1-C06A-4070-A0CA-DFBB3FEEAE04.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 9052A9E7-5339-428F-8C4B-EB2094B99764.jpeg
    9052A9E7-5339-428F-8C4B-EB2094B99764.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DCC9FE5B-CA49-4A2F-A0E5-451A9C6B3F92.jpeg
    DCC9FE5B-CA49-4A2F-A0E5-451A9C6B3F92.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 064BEBEA-F456-4BFE-B905-E0CC28B5BB39.jpeg
    064BEBEA-F456-4BFE-B905-E0CC28B5BB39.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 51
Put the alloy crown and hat back on where it should be, and post a pic of that, then light the burner and post a pic of that with the flame picture. If the flame goes out when it's all back together and lit with a flame and held for a few secs then the thermocouple needs replaced.

Ultimately I'd recommend you get a GSR engineer in to sort it out.

Reactions: CBW
Have noticed that the flame goes out when I take my finger of the control knob. Is that significant or to be expected.
It's to be expected if you release the control knob before the thermocouple has got hot (5 seconds should be enough), or if the flame isn't touching the thermocouple. Do you understand which part is the thermocouple?

The dirty brown post (copper coloured) in you first photo with the flame lit, the post at around 5 o'clock. It is directly opposite the white ignition post. It might or might not keep alight with the crown cover in place, it depends on the flame hitting it, to keep it alight when the knob is released.

I am not living at the property.
So can’t do it now.
The thermocouple may be faulty ??
Presumably I need a gsr to replace it.
There is a tiny nut at the bottom. ?

My gas hob is very similar to yours. Sometimes my centre burner doesn't light, so I give the flat top & the alloy base a good clean, for some reason I can ignite / light the burner, but it will go off (after 7 seconds) as soon as I release the knob. I try again & instantly it lights & stays on. Got used to it being temperamental. Gas + Spark = Ignition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back