GAS SAFE question related to HOB

I posted this questions direct to Gas Safe:

"May I legally disconnect and re-connect my gas hob using a bayonet fitting (with flexi hose) without needing a Gas Safe Engineer?"

I received this most helpful response:

"Thank you for your enquiry.

The debate around who is permitted to disconnect and reconnect a self-sealing connector (or bayonet fitting) serving a gas cooker has led to different opinions being offered e.g. where appliances are disconnected and reconnected by other trades as part of a property refurbishment, or by a removal and/or storage company.

The primary legislation relevant to the safe installation, maintenance and use of gas systems and appliances is the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations (GSIUR).

This legislation, along with the Approved Code of Practice and Guidance – Safety in the installation and use of gas systems and appliances (ACoP) – published by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), describes what is considered ‘work in relation to a gas fitting’ (‘gas work’) and provides guidance on what needs to be considered when disconnecting and/or reconnecting any self-sealing appliance connector (bayonet).

Where a gas cooker is installed for the first time or repositioned permanently, it is considered ‘gas work’ and must therefore be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer who holds the appropriate proof of competence.

The disconnection/reconnection (at the same location) of a self-sealing appliance connector following installation is not deemed ‘gas work’ and therefore may be carried out by a non-registered person(s), for example, when a home owner temporarily removes the cooker when cleaning. However, whenever any person who is at work, disconnects or re-connects a self-sealing connector they must be competent to a level that will ensure that the installation is not allowing gas to escape.

In most cases when the cooker hose is disconnected from the self-sealing connector, there will be a residual smell of gas. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that as a minimum, an appropriate leak detection fluid (LDF) or gas detector is used to confirm that there is no gas escaping from the fitting. "

Regards

ANDREW

Sponsored Links
As far as I am aware, there is no hob which CANNOT be fitted with a supply in copper tube!

Therefore, I cannot see any advantage in using a more expensive rubber hose!

It would make it easier to fit hobs if soft tempered 10mm coper was used more often!

Tony

Dear Dan,

Thank you for your observation - well spotted!

However as the subject matter was "Bayonet Gas Hob - DIY" and as the question directly related to a gas hob. I would think that the reasonable conclusion one would draw, is that the response was about the "hob" question.

Regards
ANDREW

Sponsored Links
You might reach that conclusion!

But my experience is that GS like to cut and paste documents rather then write afresh!

Another multiple page reply. Do not know why posters do not search as topic has been done to death :evil:

Andrew,

A hob is a hob, a cooker is not; but one could argue it's a grey area. Gas safe have given a very noncommittal answer. As said pasted from a no doubt, standard issue set of answers.

The correct answer is that the hob is to be fitted as per the instructions. Some hobs allow flexible connections. Some don't.

Gas Safe have replied to a specific question. "Can a consumer disconnect or reconnect a bayonet connection on a hob" to which they have provided a good and imformative answer....whether or not it was a cut and paste exercise makes no difference.

And as already stated a hob can be connected using a flexible connection as long as guidance is provided by the manufacturer. Gas Safe have a technical bulletin on subject!!!

This one has intrigued me so I have called GS.

To clarify....

A hob is classed as a cooker (as well as a hotplate).

It can be fitted on a bayonette UNLESS
Manufacturer instructions specify fixed pipework.
The hose will be subject to temperatures over 70 degrees.
The hose will be subject to mechanical strain or damage.

Installing second hand hobs WITHOUT mi's is down to engineer's judgement. IMHO you would be mad to do so.

So my apologies for any confusion caused on my part.

would never fit one in the same space as an oven. ever.

having said that, i would never fit one anyway.

It can be fitted on a bayonette UNLESS
Manufacturer instructions specify fixed pipework.
The hose will be subject to temperatures over 70 degrees.
The hose will be subject to mechanical strain or damage.

This.

The one I question is the second point. How you reliably determine if 70 degrees will happen if it's fitted above a cooker I don't know. If it was standalone I would do it, above a cooker I would think twice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back