Gas HW cost slashed with new Greenstar 28i Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just recently had a Greenstar 28i boiler, all new pipework, 8 rads, heated towel rail and thermostatic mixer shower in my 3 bed detached house, boiler in porch, trv's on all but bathroom rad.

Previous system was indirect with very old Foor standing Potterton gas boiler with timed hot water and a tank stat.

Its been in about a month now and I have been keeping tabs on the gas usage, the CH has only come on for a short while on 2 very cold evenings so my figures really are for hot water use only.

55 pence per 24hrs is what I am seeing and thats a saving of around 70 pence a day on the old system! We cook with gas too.

I almost wonder if the plumbers broke the meter when connecting the new gas supply!

There will I hope be an added bonus of the drop in my Electric bill due to the fact we were using a 9kw electric shower before the change over and we now have a really nice mains pressure gas powered shower.
3 women in the house so the shower really does get some stick, had to remove the radio from the bathroom to cut the amount of time the girls were spending in the shower while on electric!

The only negative I have seen is a slightly long time to get hot water from the taps, but then I did elect to have the boiler fitted as far from all the taps as possible :rolleyes: but with the programmer I have fitted I can use the timed pre heat to cut that somewhat.

Almost cant wait for winter so I can see what the savings are there :D

Sponsored Links
The only negative I have seen is a slightly long time to get hot water from the taps, but then I did elect to have the boiler fitted as far from all the taps as possible :rolleyes:D

Might aswel instruct everyone to wash hands in cold water. I say this because all they do is wash in cold anyway but send a slug of hot down the extended pipe run which will cool before the next user and you are paying to heat water for the benefit of a long piece of pipe.

Apart from that congratulations on your success.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back