Gas installation - look at this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
came across this strange set up of the gas pipe. (see photos,) the gas pipe enters the property via 15 mm copper pipe then goes through this strange configuration of pipe work, then it connects to a lead pipe and goes off up through the ceiling , before this there is also a tee pipe off the lead pipe which terminates and the end is just crimped over!
Also the copper pipe you can see with the bonding cable attached that heads under the floor has been disconnected.
The gas pipework to the boiler at the back of the property is connected in copper pipe.
What are your thoughts and should it be condemned?
View media item 11683 View media item 11684 View media item 11685 View media item 11686 View media item 11687 View media item 11688 View media item 11689 View media item 11690

Sponsored Links
WTF :eek:

Whats with the large diameter sleeving as it enters the property in 15mm!!!

No earth bonding is N.C.S, can't see any other N.C.S to upgrade it to A.R

Overall it looks shoddy.

Sponsored Links
andybill

is this your property,is it work you are going to undertake.....

ncs = not to current standards
ar = at risk
id = immediately dangerous

the lead pipe flattened tocap off the pipe is immediately dangerous.

gas carcass must be immediately disconnected from meter, by a registered gas installer.

no im thinking of renting ,
would a gas safety cert be rqd? would this pass a gas safety check?
its been done ages , the date on the newspaper is 2001.

what do you think the disconnected pipe that goes under the floor was used as and why disconnect it?
and surely move the bonding to the pipe in use?

if you are going to rent this property, the landlord,by law,must provide you with a landlords certificate stating the safety of all gas pipework,flues,appliances and controls.

its not your responsibility,it is the lanlords

And if the landlord gives you one :rolleyes: report him to gassafe. :eek:

What size combi has it got on the other end of that lead pipe :confused:

The old pipes are easy to work out.

An old entry pipe and supply, the meter has been moved outside.

...but surely the copper piping was installed after the meter was moved,
what purpose was the disconnected pipe with the earth bonding on for?

what is the reason it is unsafe ? because of the crimped lead pipe or lack of bonding? or both?

here is the pipe into the boiler

the type is a SIME View media item 11693 View media item 11694

The disconnected pipe possibly fed the previous boiler(if it was in a different position) or a fire or cooker.

what is the reason it is unsafe ?

the way the lead pipe is terminated without an approved fitting. It is classed as an open end and as such is Imediately Dangerous which means that the gas supply has to be capped off until it is put right.

Then the pipework to the boiler is likely to offer two much resistance to the flow of gas so more than 1mbar will be dropped across the installation pipework. It depends on how much it drops and the working conditions of the boiler whether that is At Risk or Not to Current Standards.

As stated the electrical earth bonding is not to current standards.

Because non of it affects fluing or ventilation and it is not an open flued appliance it doesn't matter how many items are not to current standards they cannot be upgraded to At Risk.

The NTCS elements need not be changed though it is advised. The only thing which is obvious has to be rectified is the folded over lead pipe. However to fix that would entail ripping out all the lead and running a new gas pipe from meter to boiler, quite possibly around the outside. then all that lot could come out.

The boiler isn't all that bad. Be nice to see a picture of the flue and pressure relief outlet as I would put money on those being ntcs.

In a perfect world the socket which feeds the boiler should be unswitched and the plug should have a 3a fuse in.

Depends what it is a restrictor elbow is an open end and I am grading a hammered flat lead pipe in the same way by my own judgement. You have to apply your judgement. We both have to be responsible for our own decisions. I would not leave the property with gas in the pipes. If I was refused disconnection I would get a reference number from Northern gas Networks (in my case) and leave paperwork signed or otherwise..

inappropriate fitting is ID and Riddor not sure about PRV tho, didn't think that came under gas regs

not sure about PRV tho, didn't think that came under gas regs

BG TOPS it's ntcs and quite often AR. Not sure how emergency service provider treats it probably same as BG.

To say it doesn't affect gas regs is like saying earth bonding doesn't manufacturer's clearances around boiler and probably some other stuff I can't pause to think about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back