Gas leak detectors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can you purchase reliable natural gas leak detectors? For potential leaks from appliances and pipe work?

I already have a CO detector.

Sponsored Links
na the emergency service provider just use canaries to detect leaks

Sponsored Links
why do you feel the need to have one ? we all have one its called a nose

Trust me, you can get the screwfix gas detectors places that you can't get your nose. That TPI detector takes a bit of getting used to, but it does work.

But as Mr Pedantic has already spotted, just which type are you after.

that sniffer is shyte , wouldn't it just be better getting your appliances or system checked by an rgi

I had a gas leak before in a rental property and it was a nightmare to get sorted with a rubbish landlord. And there are people who have poor sense of smell due to medical conditions. So if you aren't sure instead of calling out the gas safe people whenever you smell a strange smell or even worse not smelling a leak a detector could come in handy.

I just thought you'd find one that looks and acts like a CO alarm. You hang it on a wall or inside a cupboard where there's pipes behind or below and it does the rest.

Human nose will smell gas up to 2% gas in air after that it all smells the same up to 100% gas. think the lower end iis meant to be 500ppm .
But as for coming in handy instead of calling out emergency people why wouldnt you call them out they come out free of charge within an hour they have the equipment and the experience too check for leaks (the leak might not even be coming from your property) . So its not something you want to be fannying about looking for yourself .
But this is what you want if you are worried about people not being able to smell it if there is one.
https://www.safelincs.co.uk/battery...MI-trCl6nR1gIVQcYbCh0QgACdEAYYAiABEgLRZvD_BwE

I was asked this recently by a mate who has congenital anosmia, he'd had a near miss once when one of the burners on his hob went out and he wasn't aware. It's a terrible affliction, we went out for a curry a few weeks ago and he couldn't smell it at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back