Gas meter and Anaconda?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Forgive the dopey newbie question but I'm stuck on the coldest day of the year with no heating or hot water so need to get this sorted.

My gas pipe was replaced today by National Grid for the princely sum of 1500 pounds (Surrey), but they wanted another 1500 to physically attach the old meter to the wall and reconnect two pipes to the kitchen.

I said no I'll get a MET1 engineer thank you very much. Trouble is the meter is all disconnected and sat just under the new housing waiting to be reconnected, the National Grid guy said to tell my MET1 guy he'll need an anaconda into a 3/4 pipe. When I contacted him about this , he said he didnt know where to get one of these and the gas board should have given me one, they say it was an old pipe so they shouldn't.

So now it looks like it cant be reconnected as my plumber cant get one, infact I'm not sure he was happy with what it was anyway. Where do I get one of these and why is it proving bloody difficult to find a man to have the stuff and reconnect it.

I have to say the Nat Grid guys would have done it but they would have gotten into hot water over it apparently but it would have saved a lot of ringing around to find someone.

Anyone know where I can get this anaconda for a 3/4 pipe and anyone know a MET1 chap in Surrey or Berkshire, there doesnt seem many on the gas safe website.

All help appreciated, and once again apologies for the newbie question.

Cheers Stu

Sponsored Links
No need for it to be an anaconda it can be done in 22mm copper anaconda is just easier .
But www.bes.co.uk
page 28.

But nat grid should have fitted inlet and meter and just disc`d the outlet for your contractor to connect onto

Thanks for the reply, according to them my 1500 pounds was to move the ECV and pipework, reconnecting the meter would have incurred a much higher charge ?? Ripoff springs to mind.

The old pipe that went into the inlet side of the meter has a huge big round head on it and its all fixed and rigid, the outlet side looks like a flexible (anaconda) type hose onto the 22mm boiler pipework

I'm hoping that the MET1 chap can do exactly as you say and somehow connect with copper piping. I can't believe there arent more MET1 guys around!

Cheers Stu

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back