Gas meter box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI
I've got a bit of a problem with my meter box, the local idiots have been using it as target bractice, kicking it off the wall every so often. first couple of times it popped off without any real damage but now it's destroyed, even the holes it attached onto the back platre with are gone.
I've found a replacement for a reasonable sum. Was told b a scottish gas networks guy they would want over a hundred quid to supply and fit it. Was also told I cant get the meter moved indoors as they dont make the regulator / governor that would allow that now, due to having a medium pressure supply.
Do i need to get the box form scottish gas networks folk, since the back plate needs replaced, or can i just get any gas safe engineer out to do that?
Since i cant get the box moved realistically, i'm also looking at a metal frame around the box, leaving the front open for acess, but stopping the idiots kicking it sideways off the wall. would that be allowed?

thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
To be honest around £100 to supply and fit a full replacement meter box sounds quite reasonable especially as it means removing and refitting the meter on a live supply - I'd let SGS get on with it.

You can fit a protective frame around the meter box providing it doesn't prevent access to the meter.

I'd be inclined to try something like KeeKlamp

http://keesafety.co.uk/products/kee_klamp

If you have a medium pressure supply I would let SGN do it, the rig on your meter has a few safety devices and more than just one regulator like a low pressure supply, there are different regulations regarding MP supplies @ £100 supplied and fitted you are getting value for money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back