Gas meter constantly making slow clicking sound. Also funny smell..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a really old gas meter, from around 1979 (as it says on the front) it is situated in my cupboard with electricity meter. I couldn't get it changed for a smart meter because the way it is fitted.

Anyway, the past week there has been a funny smell in the cupboard, like a fishy burnt rubber smell. Checked all the electricity cables and nothing is warm or anything, all seem fine. I have noticed the gas meter is making a constant clicking sound. I should probably test it when the heating is off, though just wondering if the click is normal if the gas is in use (like when heating is on) and not normal when not in use if that is the case?

Also if there is an issue with the meter, because it is so old, who is responsible for fixing it? It says British gas on the front. Would I need to call them to do a check?

Any advice would be appreciated. Also here is a video of the meter with the clicking. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does the meter actual register usage? The clicking sounds like it would when there is gas being used.

Who is your supplier, have you been in touch with them?

@Madrab Yes it is registering usage. My current supplier is EON. Would they be responsible for the gas meter if it needed checking up? Also the gas meter is 44 years old, so not sure if that should be changed anyway. Though back then it says it is owned by British Gas, though not sure if it is relevant anymore.

@Laurieo That's interesting. Would this require an electrician to check? What would you need to look out for if arcing is taking place?

Sponsored Links
Click noise is normal for a mechanical gas meter fishy smell is classic wiring insulation overheating and needs urgently checking out.
If it only happens eg when you have a shower it could be undersized or loose wiring but don't delay in getting it checked as it's a fire risk.

Get your electrics checked .
gas emergency service will come out free within the hour to check your gas installation 0800 111 999
Dont change the meter for a smart one the older a gas meter gets it usually becomes more inaccurate in the customers favour

Great, thanks for the info guys. My partners dad is a retired electrician so I can relay the info to him and he can check it. The smell doesn't smell like gas so I will assume it is electrics. gass112 haha yeah I never thought of it that way ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back