Gas meter always ticking away - is that right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Feel a bit silly, like i should know this but looking at my gas meter the other day i noticed that the last digit on the far right of the reading was ticking around albeit slowly.

I thought to myself, well the central heating isn't on (i turned the gas supply off at the boiler), nor are the fires or cooker, could i have a slow leak somewhere? I can't smell gas anywhere in the house, and i know when i'm using gas because the meter makes a light whooshing noise.

There's a tag on the side of the meter that says it was commissoned in 1987, looks fairly crusty - are they meant to continually tick away even though no appliance is demanding gas?

Sponsored Links
you have a leak or your neighbour is nicking you gas! the meter will be stationary if nothing attached
are you sure the boiler doesn't have permanent pilot or gas fire/cooker isn't an old one with a pilot?

It's a viessman vitodens 100-w, was installed 8 months ago - from what i can infer from their website - it's got an electric pilot, although not 100% sure as the manuals aren't great.

I've turned it's gas supply off direct at the boiler though, so therefore the pilot shouldn't be on right?

On the front of the meter there is an emergency telephone No. I strongly recommennd that you ring these people (in my day Transco) to come out and check for leaks ( this is a free service). But be aware, if their tests do detect a leak of a certain magnitude, even with no smell of gas they will cap (shut off) your gas supply.Then you will have to contact an RGI to trace the leak, repair it and reinstate the gas supply. Then pay his bill, unless your property is rented, then contact the landlord.
In either case its a no brainer get it checked

Sponsored Links
Okay, so the counter should definitely not increment when no appliance is in use. Sound advice - thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back