How many Gas units for the pilot flame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been away on holiday for just 05 days. I checked the gas meter & found that it has used 1.7 gas units for 05 days for the pilot flame on my back boiler (I had both HW & CH off).

Is this about right?

Does anyone know?

Sorry if it is a silly question. many thanks in advance.

K

Sponsored Links
Someone worked it out, that the pilot could cost £30.00 a year. :eek:

Sponsored Links
I cant remember the unit type stated on the meter, sorry.
That's unfortunate.

Some meters measure consumption in cubic metres; others in hundreds of cubic feet. There are 2.83 cubic metres in a hundred cubic feet.

So you have used either 1.7 cubic metres or 4.81 cubic metres. That's either 18.5kWh or 52.4kWh.

Back in the old days of 38p a therm it was £10 a year don`t` know what it is now as to be honest have not got a clue how much gas is now.

Thing is it is not completly wasted energy as it does keep a bit off heat in system.

Someone worked it out, that the pilot could cost £30.00 a year. :eek:
The formula used to calculate the Sedbuk rating of a boiler reduces the efficiency of a boiler by 4% if it has a pilot light.

Its about £30-£40 per annum but that is not totally wasted while heating the CH or HW.

Tony

surely it depends on the pilot? If its £30 on a normal boiler, whats it on a wau?
There always quite high for eyebrow protection :D

Hi,
Sorry for the delayed reply D_Hailsham.

It's cubic metres.

So my question is 1.7 cubic metres of Gas over 03 days for a pilot light, does it sound OK?

Do you all know?

Thanks
K

It's cubic metres.
So my question is 1.7 cubic metres of Gas over 03 days for a pilot light, does it sound OK?
1.7cu.m is approx 18 kWh. Over 3 days (72 hours) that is equivalent to running a 250w light continuously, which does not sound right. Are you sure you read the meter correctly?

There are four black numbers and two red numbers (one may be a dial). The right hand black number is the units, i.e:
765432 = 7,654.32 cubic metres.

It's cubic metres.
1.7cu.m is approx 18 kWh. Over 3 days (72 hours) that is equivalent to running a 250w light continuously, which does not sound right. Are you sure you read the meter correctly?

There are four black numbers and two red numbers (one may be a dial). The right hand black number is the units, i.e:
765432 = 7,654.32 cubic metres.

It was 5 days when the original question was posted. :rolleyes:

Could be of course that it was 1.7 cubic foot, which is really not worth talking about.
If you would have an open flue boiler, the amount of heat lost by the continuous draft coming in from the vent and out through the chimney would cost a lot more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back