Gas meter failed - replacement too big ?

Meter not registering and you ask for it to be changed in the summer are you mad ??
You could at least have waited till end of winter after having heating on full for 5 months

Sponsored Links
A big g4 mechanical unless you ask for smart meters
Exactly, which is why I was asking if there are any magic words that might cause them to arrive with something that will fit in the cupboard. I probably won't be about, but if I was, I wonder how it would go down if they arrive with a big fugly meter, I ask to look at it, and ... oops, "oh dear it's got a big dint from someone dropping it, you can't fit that it's damaged" ;)

Meter not registering and you ask for it to be changed in the summer are you mad ??
You could at least have waited till end of winter after having heating on full for 5 months
Well some of us were brought up with this rather quaint notion of ... now what's it called ... oh yes, honesty.

As an aside, Dad seems to be under the impression that they'll turn up one day (OK, well write in advance) in the not too distant future and insist the meter has to be moved outside - that would be one big PITA to say the least. Is there any truth in that ?

If you drop the meter, he will have loads more in the back lol, the chance of getting it moved outside is very slim, as you have a inch service by the look of it, they can push plastic 3/4 straight thru it, I doubt it will ever move unless you pay for it lol

Ah, that's good to know. No we won't be offering to pay for it - we're happy with it where it is. Don't want the (new) drive and/or paths digging up to alter the service.

From the way you say it, it sounds like the issue isn't to do with the location, but the steel pipe ?

Sponsored Links
If you are with BG, it is possible to hold of the meter type that Denso13 linked to, Just depends on how much the engineer can be arsed chasing one, If this is the case, dont expect him to turn up with one on the first appointment.

If you get a smart meter in place, you'll need your electric meter exchanged as well.

I think ya mite be able to get a George Wilson in with a bit of luck, e.on don't carry e6 credit, neither did bt when iwas there.they wouldn't dig up your drive they'd do it in the middle of the road where the main is.

Hi

You can buy an E6 meter for about £100 pound.
Do not know whether supplier would fit your own meter though.

Terry

they wouldn't dig up your drive they'd do it in the middle of the road where the main is.
How would they get a pipe from there to where the meter would need to go ? This isn't the oil/gas exploration industry where they can drill for miles and turn corners - I've seen it described as drilling a 1/4" hole in your garage door from two streets away.

I assume you are thinking they'll dig a hole in the road and mole a new pipe in. That still needs a big hole to aim for, assuming the mole doesn't hit anything like other pipes or cables, or hit a big rock (plenty of that here) and go off in a completely different direction.
They could mole in stages up the garden (Mum would just love that :rolleyes:), but they'd still need to dig a big hole in the nearly new drive to get the pipe out.

They push the new plastic gas pipe , through the inside of the steel pipe . No messing about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back