Gas Meter Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

hopefully a simple one for you

i have the gas meter below

P22-02-11_1056.jpg

please can any 1 advise how many times the red arrow on the dial should go round before the red dial digit moves up a digit.

also how fast would you expect the dial to turn when the only gas applicance using gas is a old baxi 552 boiler pilot light

currently take approx 1hr 45 to go one full cycle

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
please can any 1 advise how many times the red arrow on the dial should go round before the red dial digit moves up a digit

this is what he asked

also how fast would you expect the dial to turn when the only gas applicance using gas is a old baxi 552 boiler pilot light

currently take approx 1hr 45 to go one full cycle

This was the 2nd question asked ONLYFIDDLE. :rolleyes:

Why don't you answer the OPs question instead of acting like a fool all the time along with your stupid negative comments.

I'd have a guess at ten. At one revolution every 1hr 45mins that will be 17hr 30 mins.

your meter measures in ft3, the first 4 black numbers (reading from left to right )are in 100s of ft3, so the red number is 10s of ft3, so the dial would have to go round 10 times before the red digit changed, if the last digit that is painted on the face was real it would go round with the test dial.

your meter measures in ft3, the first 4 black numbers (reading from left to right )are in 100s of ft3, so the red number is 10s of ft3, so the dial would have to go round 10 times before the red digit changed, if the last digit that is painted on the face was real it would go round with the test dial.

ok in that case then....

1 digit increase (the read number) every 17-18 hours normal..... for just a pilot light? (which runs permanantly.

wish it was like my water meter........... x ammount of black digits then 000-999 before the red digit goes up 1.

If the amount of gas a pilot uses is really that troubling, get a new boiler :rolleyes:

Not only will it not use gas unless needed, it will be a hell of a lot more efficient than an old back boiler.

Fella,your gas meter is rather old,eitjher you are getting good bills due to meter being shagged or you are getting bad bills as your meter is also shagged.
I think we live in a metric world now (execpt agile,who likes his pints) ok pints per hour.
Well thats my shout and you will have a very old gas governor as well.
Time to find a non condensing boiler for my hut under the m4.
Happy go lucky.

If the amount of gas a pilot uses is really that troubling, get a new boiler :rolleyes:

Not only will it not use gas unless needed, it will be a hell of a lot more efficient than an old back boiler.

its not troubling but im new to all this i never really checked before just sent readings when asked..........

im happy with my boiler, why change it when it works first time everytime, when it breaks monthly quartly then ill get a worcester bosh ones, as i've heard there about the est

Fella would you trust a car speedo which is over 25 years old.

i wouldnt trust a car speedo 25 days old as i know exaclt where they read to be true, likewise if i knew the ins and outs of a gas meter i wouldnt be sking,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back