Gas meter under sink?

n2o

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to remember when I was doing my ACoPs in the dim & distant being told that a gas meter cannot be sited under a sink.

I can’t find any reference to this in my Viper & CORGI books. Have I dreamt this or is it a fact?

Sponsored Links
many many are still under sinks some even with the electric incomming supply right at the side of it .makes a joke of the distances between services. cant remember any thing referring to they cant be there,and at the end of the day we do not fit the meters only the pipe work from it .
so unless the ECV is inaccessible I would not even worry too much.
I know that if you requested a new supply today you could not have it fitted under the sink preferred method is a nice white box out side.

Sponsored Links
i'm sure there is something about this in BS6400, will look tomorrow if i remember

BS6400, section 6.9.1.3 this states a meter should not be positioned where food is stored or where it is likely to come into contact with damp or corrosive surroundings, so this could easily constitute under a sink, although it doesn't actually exclude it, if you fit a meter under a sink and a leak caused corrosion you would likely be blamed as the chance of having a leak under a sink is always there so the meter should have been somewhere else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back