Gas not firing - air trapped in boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I've done a bit of searching but can't seem to find my answer anywhere on the forum.

I have a Vokera 80 sp boiler. I went away for a few days and when I came back the pressure was at 0. I repressurised to 1.5 and everything seemed ok. A few hours later the hot water stopped firing occasionally. The diverter was still making the 'clicking' noise that usually happens just before the gas comes on, but the gas didn't come on. Now the gas won't fire at all, so I have no hot water or heating.

I have rung a gas engineer who thinks it might be air trapped in the boiler/pump (?) but no one can make it out to me today before I go away for 3 days, and I'm oncerened about burst pipes etc if I leave the house with no heating. I can't find instructions on how to remove the air from the boiler/pump anywhere.

Any help or suggestions (including where I might find instructions for the boiler) would be much appreciated.

Cheers, and a happy new year!

Sam

Sponsored Links
Cheers,

I've unscrewed the screw in the middle of the pump until a little water came out, but still no joy with the gas firing. Any other ideas? or do I need to get someone out when I get back?

Sam

Sponsored Links
What exactly do you mean by 'When I switch the boiler on'? Do you mean at the mains? Or when I turn the hot water on and the boiler has to come on? When I turn it on at the mains nothing happens really. It sort of makes a small clicking sound which sounds like it is followed by something coming up to pressure (a very short low, dull sound). When I turn the hot water on, the diverter (I think it's called) moves out and there is a click-click noise of the microswitch and then nothing (this is the point at which usually the gas would come on).

Thanks for the quick response and the help. If you need anymore info then let me know.

Sam

The gas in on (checked that first)
The pressure is ok now (1.5, but it was 0 when we got back yesterday)
Not sure what the fan is, and how to determine if it's on or not.
The pump doesn't seem to make any noise when I turn the hot water on, but it does vibrate a tiny amount, and I can't remember if it made an audible noise or not.

The symptoms started when we first got back yesterday, and it was a bit tempremental so I'm not sure if it is the pump or not as if this had gone then it would stop working completely, no? It stopped yesterday, but after a few minutes of turning the water on and off it started working again. I've tried this again but it didn't work it just doesn't come on at all.

I've got to go away for a few days so I won't be able to try out any suggestions or give any boiler feedback until the 3rd of Jan, but thatnks for the help and anything that is suggested I'll try as soon as I get home.

Thanks again for the help

Sam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back